I had this Citrus Avocado Chicken for the first time when I was visiting our Edwards cousins in Hawaii. It was so delicious, I had to have the recipe!
Luckily, they directed me to their recipe blog, Edwards Edibles, and it was on there (Kristen’s recipe… thanks Kristen)! We made it again tonight and it was WONDERFUL! It has a bright, summery flavor! I love the sweet tangy citrus flavor combined with the smooth, cool avocado. YUM! Oh and it’s gluten free… and it’s healthy…. and it tastes amazing. One of the best grilled chicken recipes I have ever had!
The salsa that is served with the chicken is incredible! The lime, orange, and grapefruit segments combined with the herbs, the chili peppers, and the honey give the chicken a variety and freshness of flavor. It also makes for a very colorful dish!
I wish we could grill year round like our cousins in Hawaii. We pull out the grill as early as possible in the spring and don’t put it away until the first snowfall in the winter. If you love the flavor the grill gives to chicken as much as we do, try some of our other grilled chicken recipes:
Other Yummy Chicken Recipes:
Coconut Curry Grilled Chicken – Grilled Chicken with a taste of India. The chicken is marinated in coconut milk, curry, honey, lime, and cilantro and then grilled to perfection.
Grilled Malibu Chicken – This grilled chicken is marinated in a honey mustard sauce and then topped with ham and cheese. It is served with a fabulous dipping sauce made with Greek yogurt.
Grilled Balsamic Chicken – This has been a go-to recipe of ours for years. The chicken is marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Italian seasonings. It has so much flavor and always comes out tender, never dry. It is perfect for slicing and serving on a big, green salad.
Top 10 Chicken Breast Recipes – Still looking for more dinner inspiration? We’ve got you covered. These are our Top 10 chicken recipes chosen by YOU, our readers!
- 2 Tbsp citrus zest reserved from the salsa
- 1/2 cup citrus juice reserved from the salsa
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Serrano Chile stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts I prefer to use the chicken tenders
- 2 Firm Ripe Avocados
To make salsa:
- Wash and dry the limes, oranges, and grapefruit. Grate their zests and set aside for use in the marinade. Peel and section the citrus fruit, discarding the membranes, and reserve the juice for the marinade. Cut each citrus segment into three or four pieces and place in a large mixing bowl with the remaining salsa ingredients. Mix and refrigerate until one hour before serving.
To make marinade:
- Whisk the reserved citrus zest and juice with remaining ingredients.
- Rinse chicken breasts under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place in large plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press out the air and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl and refrigerate for 4-8 hours, turning occasionally.
1 Hour before serving:
- Cut the avocados into chunks and mix with salsa, Let sit at room temperature.
15 minutes before serving:
- Grill the chicken! Discard the marinade and grill at direct medium heat until juices run clear. (8-10 minutes)