This Citrus Chicken with Avocado Salsa is bursting with fresh, vibrant flavors! Easy marinade and a simple salsa makes this a satisfying and delicious meal.
Citrus Chicken with Avocado Salsa
I first tasted this Citrus Chicken with Avocado Salsa while visiting our Edwards cousins in Hawaii. It was so delicious, I immediately asked if I could share the recipe. Luckily, they directed me to their recipe blog, Edwards Edibles, and it was right there (Kristen’s recipe… thanks Kristen)! It has since become a family favorite. We love the bright, summery flavors that come with just a few sweet, tangy, citrus ingredients.
Citrus Chicken Marinade
This vibrant, flavorful marinade is really easy to make, and turns an ordinary chicken breast into a tropical flavor experience! Here’s what you need:
- Use zest and juice from the limes, oranges, and grapefruit that you’ll use in the fresh salsa.
- Honey, for added sweetness
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Serrano Chile (find it in the produce section of your grocery store)
- Use fresh basil, cumin and cilantro if you can; otherwise dried herbs will work great.
- Mix it all together and allow the chicken to marinate in a sealed plastic bag or a bowl for at least a couple of hours, preferably overnight.
- Grill it up and use any extra marinade to brush on during grilling.
This avocado salsa could easily be eaten with a spoon! But save a bit to serve over the chicken. Dice some limes, oranges, and grapefruit sections along with fresh cilantro, basil, green onion, honey, cumin and Anaheim chile peppers. Right before serving, add some diced avocado. It’s such a colorful, fresh and tasty dish!
Other Yummy Chicken Recipes
If you love the flavor the grill gives to chicken as much as we do, try some of our other grilled chicken recipes:
- Coconut Curry Grilled Chicken – Grilled Chicken with a taste of India. The chicken is marinated in coconut milk, curry, honey, lime, and cilantro and then grilled to perfection.
- Grilled Malibu Chicken – This grilled chicken is marinated in a honey mustard sauce and then topped with ham and cheese. It is served with a fabulous dipping sauce made with Greek yogurt.
- Grilled Balsamic Chicken – This has been a go-to recipe of ours for years. The chicken is marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Italian seasonings. It has so much flavor and always comes out tender, never dry. It is perfect for slicing and serving on a big, green salad.
- Top 10 Chicken Breast Recipes – Still looking for more dinner inspiration? We’ve got you covered. These are our Top 10 chicken recipes chosen by YOU, our readers!
How to Make Citrus Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- 2 Tbsp citrus zest reserved from the salsa
- 1/2 cup citrus juice reserved from the salsa
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Serrano Chile stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts I prefer to use the chicken tenders
- 2 Firm Ripe Avocados
To make salsa:
- Wash and dry the limes, oranges, and grapefruit. Grate their zests and set aside for use in the marinade. Peel and section the citrus fruit, discarding the membranes, and reserve the juice for the marinade. Cut each citrus segment into three or four pieces and place in a large mixing bowl with the remaining salsa ingredients. Mix and refrigerate until one hour before serving.
To make marinade:
- Whisk the reserved citrus zest and juice with remaining ingredients.
- Rinse chicken breasts under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place in large plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press out the air and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl and refrigerate for 4-8 hours, turning occasionally.
1 Hour before serving:
- Cut the avocados into chunks and mix with salsa, Let sit at room temperature.
15 minutes before serving:
- Grill the chicken! Discard the marinade and grill at direct medium heat until juices run clear. (8-10 minutes)