Cranberry Salsa is made with fresh ingredients and has an incredible sweet and tangy flavor. This beautiful appetizer is perfect for Christmas and holiday parties.
This Cranberry Salsa is another delicious recipe from my mother-in-law and one of my favorite appetizers all year round, but especially around the holidays. Fresh cranberries, jalapenos, cilantro and green onions give this salsa vibrant sweet and spicy flavor. It’s delicious on its own but we love it served over tangy cream cheese. The gorgeous green and red color make it perfect for Christmas time! Many of our holiday parties feature this delicious appetizer on the buffet table. We scoop it up with anything from tortilla chips to crackers. It’s also really good on meats, like a relish. We served it with our turkey for Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit!
Health Benefits of Cranberries
Did you know cranberries can be very good for you? Here are some convincing reasons to eat cranberries all year long, and not just during the holidays:
- Cranberries are low in calories. Only 25 calories in half a cup!
- Cranberries are high in vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin K.
- Cranberries contain an antioxidant that prevents bacteria adhesion in the body. This is why cranberries are so well-known for preventing urinary tract infections. The same antioxidant may also promote oral health as it prevents bacteria from binding to teeth.
- Evidence suggests that cranberries may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by preventing platelet build-up and reducing blood pressure.
- Cancer research has shown that the nutrients in cranberries can help slow tumor progression, and they can positively impact other types of cancer.
Suggestions for this Recipe
- Make sure to use fresh cranberries and not canned for this recipe. They’ll chop up easily in a food processor and gives the salsa a fresh, tart flavor.
- Remove the seeds of the jalapeno before tossing in the food processor. The seeds are where the heat lives, so you’ll want to tame that down a little.
- This recipe is sweetened with honey, which also gives it a beautiful glaze. But if it’s not sweet enough, you could add a teaspoon or so of sugar until it tastes how you like it.
- If you are using a blender, just do small pulses so you don’t make this into a smoothie! You want the cranberries to be small but not completely blended together. This is a chunky salsa!
More Cranberry Recipes to Enjoy!
The tart flavor of cranberries complements desserts, breads, and meat. These are some of our favorite ways to use cranberries in our baking and cooking during the holidays.
- Cranberry Chicken – This is one of my favorite holiday dinners. The chicken is moist and tender. The pecans and cranberries give the chicken an incredible flavor.
- Cranberry Almond Bacon Cheese Ball – A delightful twist on a regular cheese ball recipe with a sweet almond crunch.
- Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake – This delicious coffee cake is perfect for breakfast or brunch. The sweet cake is flavored with cranberry and almond, then topped with an almond strudel.
- Orange Cranberry Sauce – This cranberry sauce is made with fresh cranberries and orange juice. It is so much better than canned!
- Cranberry Sausage Stuffing – Dried cranberries, fresh apples, nuts, and sausage give this stuffing a sweet and savory flavor.
- Cranberry Almond Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl – This sweet bread is like Christmas in a loaf pan. It is easy to make and so good!
How to Make Cranberry Salsa
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Pulse a few times, until ingredients are in small bits but not completely blended together. Serve over cream cheese with crackers or chips. You can also serve as a relish over meats.