This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
These Easy Fish Tacos are fantastic! Make these for a great weeknight meal when you don’t have a whole lot of time to prepare dinner. The entire family will love them.
Easy Fish Tacos
These simple fish tacos are so yummy and simple to make. I was experimenting one night with extra fish we had and came up with these. Since then, these have been a weeknight dinner staple. They’re easy to throw together on corn tortillas and with lots of yummy toppings, each member of your family can have what they like. Even the people in my family who would not describe themselves as seafood fans enjoy them. Give them a try and see!
Don’t be afraid to experiment with fish recipes! There are so many delicious ways to cook up some chicken of the sea. If you like fish tacos, then you’ll also really love these Fiesta Fish Taco Bowls or this scrumptious Sushi Bake.
Ingredients for Easy Fish Tacos
The great thing about tacos is really, anything goes! The same is true for fish tacos. Pile on your favorite fish taco toppings and start munching! Here’s what we start with:
- Battered and fully cooked fish – There are tons of different types of fish you can use (see ideas below) but generally it’s ideal to opt for a mild saltwater fish.
- Corn tortillas – you can use flour tortillas too, or crunchy taco shells, whatever you like best.
- Shredded cabbage – prepackaged cabbage slaw or coleslaw mix is great to use in this recipe too.
- Pico de gallo – we have a delicious and easy homemade recipe below!
- Cilantro cream sauce – this creamy goodness is my favorite fish taco sauce ever! Recipe is also below.
- Cotija cheese or feta cheese
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- You can also add your favorite vegetables, salsa, chopped red onion, lime wedges and Mexican rice to make a full meal.
What Fish to use for Fish Tacos
The best fish to use for these easy fish tacos is one that is a saltwater fish with a mild flavor. Some good options are:
- Mahi Mahi
Make It Extra Easy with Frozen Fish
The above being said I have a secret tactic I’ll often use if I’m trying to make these in a hurry: frozen fish! Just look in the freezer section of the grocery store for breaded frozen white fish. Arrange them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, and bake. Or cook them in a skillet set at medium heat with a little vegetable oil. Then prepare the rest of the recipe as directed.
Best Sauce for Fish Tacos
I generally make the best fish tacos with a yummy mayonnaise based sauce, then top with fresh pico. This is my preferred way to make them, although if I get super busy and don’t have time to whip up a fresh sauce, I’ll use a bottled chipotle ranch sauce from the grocery store. It’s not quite AS good, but it’ll save you even more time when making these easy fish tacos! Here’s what you need for the sauce:
- Mayonnaise – you could also swap out some of the mayo for plain Greek yogurt for extra protein and less cholesterol.
- Sour cream
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced jalapeno
- Cayenne pepper or chili powder
- Fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
More Taco Recipes
Tacos are a staple around our house and for good reason; you can dress them up a million different ways! Here are some more tasty taco recipes to serve at your next Taco Tuesday (or Wednesday or whenever!)
- Grilled Mahi Mahi Tacos
- Copycat Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- Navajo Tacos with Homemade Fry Bread
- Easy Shrimp Tacos with Homemade Slaw
- 10-Minute Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- Thai Fish Tacos
- Locos Tacos in a Bag
- Kalua Pork Tacos with Fresh Mango Salsa
- Grilled Chicken Tacos with Bacon
- Grilled Steak Street Tacos
How to Make Easy Fish Tacos
Easy Fish Taco Recipe
Cilantro Cream SAUCE:
- PICO DE GALLO: Toss all ingredients together and let sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- SAUCE: Mix all ingredients together until well blended.
- Put a piece of fish in each tortilla shell, top with cabbage, sauce, pico, feta, and fresh cilantro.