Ground Beef Tacos are a tasty recipe that makes a great meal for the whole family. Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner!
Ground Beef Tacos
This is the best ground beef taco recipe because it is easy to make and it tastes great! It is a no frills recipe for the classic ground beef tacos we all love. You can top these tacos with all your favorite taco toppings, but if you are keeping it simple you can stick with iceberg lettuce, diced tomatoes, and cheddar cheese.
- Ground Beef – The main component of this Ground Beef Tacos recipe, as you might imagine, is the ground beef. I like to use a lean ground beef. You can also use ground turkey or a plant based meat substitute like Impossible Beef or Beyond Beef.
- Taco Seasoning – I usually opt for a homemade taco seasoning, but you can absolutely use store-bought taco seasoning packets. Our Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe is made with chili powder, cumin, cornstarch, kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, and you can also add crushed red pepper flakes for more spice.
- Water – Water mixes with the cornstarch in the taco seasoning to create a delicious sauce to coat the ground beef. You can also use beef broth or chicken broth for extra flavor.
- Taco Shells – You can use crunchy corn tortillas or shells or you can use soft flour tortillas. You can also use green leaf lettuce as a low carb tortilla shell!
Ground Beef Tacos Topping Ideas
Once you have your shells and your meat, it is time to get creative with toppings! Let us know what your favorite taco toppings are in the comments below.
- Shredded Lettuce
- Diced Onion
- Diced Tomato
- Diced Bell Peppers
- Shredded Cheese (Cheddar or a Mexican Blend)
- Beans (Black, Pinto, or Refried)
- Sour Cream
- Diced Avocado
- Hot Sauce
Save Money by Making Your Own Taco Seasoning
I know it might not seem like the taco seasoning packets you buy in stores are very expensive, but with the number of tacos our family consumes, it really adds up. I can make an entire batch of this homemade taco seasoning for pennies on the dollar when compared with the store packets.
Not only is this mix less expensive than buying a packet of taco seasoning at the grocery store, it tastes better too. Plus, since you are the one making it, you know exactly what the ingredients in it are.
To drain excess grease from the pan, place a colander in the sink and pour the meat into the colander. Do not rinse the meat. If you rinse the meat, then it will lose some of the flavor. After draining, pour the meat back into the pan.
More Taco Recipes
- Grilled Chicken Tacos with Bacon – Grilled Chicken Tacos with Bacon are a delicious fusion of two of our favorite Summer dishes. The bacon crunch in each bite also takes chicken tacos to a new level!
- Easy Chicken Tacos – Easy Chicken Tacos are a simple and flavorful way to get dinner on the table quickly! Tender chicken, taco spices and also topped with garden fresh ingredients, this is the perfect summertime supper!
- Chipotle’s Crispy Chicken Tacos – Chipotle tacos are perhaps one of the most craveable foods on this planet! Whether you have been to Chipotle or not, now you can enjoy Chipotle’s Crispy Tacos whenever you want.
- Walking Tacos – Walking Tacos, Tacos in a Bag, Locos, Walking Tacos, Tacos in a Bag, Locos Tacos – whatever you call them, they’re the best meal for camping, reunions, and block parties. Also, walking tacos are cheap and tasty, with the easiest clean-up ever—no plates required!
- Birria Tacos – Birria tacos (also known as quesabirria tacos) are a traditional Mexican dish that are all the rage right now. After just one bite of these savory tacos you will see why!
- Grilled Steak Street Tacos – Grilled Steak Street Tacos are bursting with flavor. Tender steak combined with simple ingredients wrapped in corn or flour tortillas. Taco Tuesday can’t come soon enough!
- Grilled Mahi Mahi Tacos – Grilled Mahi Mahi Tacos are a light and fresh summertime supper. Flaky fish, a perfect blend of spices, and also all your favorite toppings make these fish tacos a family favorite!
- Easy Shrimp Tacos – These Shrimp Tacos are piled high with tasty, plump shrimp, homemade slaw and also tangy cilantro dressing layered in warm corn tortillas. A healthy, easy summer supper or the perfect party food!
- Thai Fish Tacos – Jazz up your typical fish tacos and get your Thai fix all at once with these Thai Fish Tacos. A super easy and delicious meal, ready in less than 30 minutes!
- Halibut Tacos – Halibut Tacos, with flaky halibut fish on a corn tortilla topped with crunchy cabbage, cilantro dressing, and also a squirt of lime, make a healthy and flavorful dish!
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos – This Spicy Shrimp Taco Recipe makes the best meal or snack. Tender bite-size shrimp, crunchy cabbage and spicy sauce comes together in just minutes and disappears even faster!
- Easy Fish Tacos – These Easy Fish Tacos are fantastic! Make these for a great weeknight meal when you don’t have a whole lot of time to prepare dinner. The entire family will love them.
- Breakfast Tacos – These tex-mex style breakfast tacos are filled with sausage, bacon and eggs and perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner!
- Sweet Potato Tacos – These Sweet Potato Tacos taste so yummy and they couldn’t be easier to make. You will love the black bean filling and the fresh, flavorful toppings.
- Kalua Pork Tacos – These Kalua Pork Tacos with Fresh Mango Salsa are loaded with juicy smokey flavored shredded pork and topped with fresh mango and avocado.
- Black Bean Tacos – These crispy Black Bean Tacos are an easy weeknight dinner that your whole family will love. They taste amazing dipped in salsa or guacamole.
Ground Beef Tacos FAQ
Yes! After cooking, place the meat into an airtight container. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before using.
Lean ground beef (93% lean) is best for tacos because the meat won’t be too greasy.
Yes! This beef tastes great in a taco salad!
More Mexican Food Recipes
How to Make Ground Beef Tacos
Ground Beef Tacos
For Taco Meat
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2/3 cups water
- 6 taco shells
- Mix taco seasoning ingredients together. This makes about ½ cup of seasoning. You will only use 3 tablespoons of the mix and you can save the rest for later. It has a shelf life of about a year.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain off excess grease.
- Add 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning and 2/3 cup water. Stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef to taco shells.
- Top with your favorite taco toppings and serve.