Coconut Cream Pie is a dreamy island dessert with a flaky crust, a coconut filling that is made from scratch, and toasted coconut sprinkles.
This coconut cream pie is by far the best I have ever had. The difference is that our filling is made from scratch and never with a pudding mix. It makes all the difference. It’s better than anything you can get at a store. If you aren’t sure about coconut cream pie, it’s time to give it another chance. Homemade always tastes best, and this couldn’t be more true with this recipe. You just can’t beat the coconut cream layer of this pie. It is rich and creamy and full of coconut flavor. Everyone will think you put more time into it than you actually did. To quote one of our readers, “Hands- down the best coconut cream pie I have ever made and tasted!”
A delicious variation on this recipe is to top the coconut cream layer with meringue instead of whipped topping. For a quick and easy meringue recipe, see our Lemon Meringue Pie. If you prefer meringue to whipped topping, this works beautifully on the Coconut Cream Pie.
The same reader adapted this recipe to make it more diabetic-friendly. These are her substitute suggestions: “This is a great recipe but I wanted to make it with less fat and sugar; I am Diabetic. I substituted milk with 1 – 12 oz. can of Fat Free Evaporated Milk; used 1 – 13.5 oz can of Lite Coconut Milk; exchanged sugar for 1/2 cup Splenda, and poured it all into a homemade graham cracker crust made with Splenda. It came out fabulous. My husband loved it, said it was the best pie ever.” Thank you, Karen!
Watch our quick how-to video!
Coconut Cream Pie
In a medium saucepan, combine half-and-half, coconut milk, eggs, sugar, cornstarch and salt.
Bring to a boil over LOW heat (using a double-boiler works best), whisking constantly.
When it starts to boil a little bit and thickens up to about the consistency of a thick pudding (this takes about 15-20 minutes so BE PATIENT), remove from heat.
Stir in 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut and the coconut (or vanilla) extract.
Pour into pie shell and chill for 2 to 4 hours, or until firm.
While pie is cooling, whip together topping ingredients with electric beaters.
When pie is completely cooled, top with whipped topping and sprinkle on remaining toasted coconut.
More Recipes for Coconut Lovers!
- Tasty Coconut Cupcakes – Light and fluffy cupcakes with the most amazing coconut frosting!
- Coconut Cream Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting – A coconut lover’s dream! A coconut cake with a rich and creamy coconut cream cheese frosting, sprinkled with even more toasted coconut.
- Coconut Pecan Cookie Bars – A graham cracker crust topped with coconut, milk chocolate chips, pecans. An easy recipe that everyone loves!
- Caribbean Coconut Fudge Bars – A soft oatmeal cookie crust topped with chocolate fudge and a gooey coconut topping. The recipe comes from a coffee shop in the Caribbean.
- Coconut Almond Bread – This is a moist coconut bread with a hint of almond. Perfect for breakfast, dessert, or a sweet treat.