Nick’s Authentic Italian Spaghetti comes straight from Italy. Tomatoes, basil, onions, and carrots flavor the two kinds of meat to make the perfect sauce!
This is Nick’s Authentic Italian Spaghetti. In our family, we lovingly call this recipe “Nicco’s Sghetti”. My husband’s brother, Nick, spent 2 years in Italy and brought home a bunch of great recipes, including this one! Thanks Nick for sharing this recipe! I don’t think I will ever be satisfied with any other spaghetti!
- Olive oil
- 3 carrots peeled, chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 1/2 lbs imported plum tomatoes diced (obviously these might be difficult to find.. you can substitute fresh Roma or grape tomatoes or use 3 cans of diced tomatoes)
- 6 fresh basil leaves chopped (or 1-2 tsp. dried basil)
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 lb. spaghetti noodles
- Heat oil on medium heat in a large, deep skillet.
- Add carrots and onion.
- Saute a couple minutes, then add beef and pork.
- When meat is browned, add tomatoes.
- When tomatoes have softened and have started to release their juices (about 4-5 min) add basil, sugar, salt and pepper (if you are using cherry or grape tomatoes you can mash the them with a potato masher or fork to get them to pop and release all their juices).
- Cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer you simmer, the better (ideally, 2+ hours).
- In a large pot, cook spaghetti to al dente, drain completely and return to pot.
- Add sauce to the spaghetti noodles and toss until noodles are covered.
- Serve immediately.