Parmesan Squash Casserole is a perfect way to use up all that squash and zucchini from the garden. Layered with tons of cheese, this is a delightful side dish to any meal.
Parmesan Squash Casserole
This Parmesan Squash Casserole is one of my favorite ways to use up our abundance of squash and zucchini in the garden. I found this recipe over at Kalyn’s Kitchen and just added fresh garden tomatoes and topped the whole thing with extra feta and Parmesan. Beautiful green, yellow and red colors create a vibrant side dish that complements many main meals and my kids love all the cheese layered in this glorious casserole. Plus, it’s so easy to make! You don’t even need to layer everything in like in the picture. Most of the time I just throw all the ingredients in the dish since it all tastes the same and it takes less time. I only do the layered look when I am serving it to guests or taking it to a potluck.
Health Benefits of Zucchini and Squash
Besides looking beautiful, zucchini and squash are high in water and fiber. They’re chock full of good things like riboflavin, folate, Vitamin C and potassium. The bottom line is, they’re super good for you! And since they have a mild flavor, you can spice them up a million different ways. You can keep the calorie count low by seasoning them up with salt and pepper and roasting them in the oven, grilling them outside or chopping them up and throwing them in salads. Of course, I like to follow the moderation in all things mantra, so my favorite way to enjoy these veggies is to layer them with cheese and bake. The possibilities are endless!
What to Serve with Parmesan Squash Casserole
This casserole recipe is a perfect side to so many meals. Here are a few of our favorite pairings:
- Instant Pot Pork Chops and Gravy
- Chicken Parmesan
- Easy Cheesy Manicotti
- Herb Crusted Salmon
- Parmesan Herb Baked Mahi Mahi
More Delicious Casserole Recipes
Whether you’re looking for a scrumptious side dish or a magnificent main course, check out some of our famous casserole recipes:
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Enchilada Casserole
- Best Baked Tater Tot Casserole
- Spaghetti Sauce Lasagna
- Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
How to Make Parmesan Squash Casserole
- 4 yellow squash and/or zucchini (about 8 cups sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup crumbled feta not tightly packed
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a large casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Slice the squash into 1/4" slices. If they are larger squash, cut them down the middle before slicing.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Add the squash, garlic, and thyme.
- Sauté and stir until the squash is just starting to soften. Don't overcook!
- Remove from heat and add tomatoes.
- Beat together the eggs, sour cream, cheeses, and lemon juice in a medium sized bowl.
- Place half of the squash into the bottom of the casserole (you can be fancy and layer it like in the picture or you can just toss it in).
- Sprinkle on some salt and pepper then spread 1/2 of the egg mixture over the top.
- Repeat with remaining squash and egg mixture.
- Top with additional feta and Parmesan if desired.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling and slightly set.
- Serve hot.