Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti is the perfect gluten-free, low-carb meal when you are craving pasta. The squash is nutritious and tastes great with pasta sauce.
For me it is very hard to want to eat healthy this time of year. It’s getting colder and I just want warm comfort food. But this recipe is the cure for me. It’s warm, and delicious, and low on calories and carbs. I have honestly come to prefer spaghetti squash to noodles.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- your favorite spaghetti sauce see below for mine
- smoked sausage in U shaped package
- mozzarella or parmesan cheese
- Cut sausage into small wedges. Throw pieces into a fry pan and brown, this removes some of the oil and gives it a nice flavor. Warm spaghetti sauce and toss in the cooked sausage.
- Take spaghetti squash and stab it all over with a sharp knife. Microwave for 20 to 25 minutes until soft. (or, if I have more time I will throw the spaghetti squash in the oven at 400 degrees for 1 1/2 hours). Carefully remove from microwave and cut open, it will be very hot! Once it has cooled a little, remove seeds and strings from the middle then remove spaghetti squash into a bowl using a fork.
- Top spaghetti squash with sausage sauce and top with mozzarella or parmesan cheese.
You will notice that I use this sauce as a base for everything from marinara, to pizza sauce, to spaghetti sauce. I just adjust the amount of tomato sauce I use depending if it needs to be thicker or thinner. (You can add onions too at the beginning when you brown the garlic, I’m just not much of an onion fan).
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 small can tomato paste
1 large can tomato sauce
1 tomato, finely chopped
3 tsp. basil
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
Brown garlic in a little olive oil in the bottom of a sauce pan. Add everything else and simmer for 30 minutes.