Perfect Easy Peel Hard Boiled Eggs turn out perfectly with this simple method. No grey ring, no cracked shells. Just delicious, smooth eggs every time!
Perfect Easy Peel Hard Boiled Eggs
In my book there are two characteristics of the perfect hard boiled egg: they can’t have any greyish ring around the yolk and they have to be easy to peel! Before practicing this method, it was such a gamble to get the perfect hard boiled eggs. Not anymore! Now they’re done to perfection every time. In this post you’ll see how easy it is to make beautiful hard boiled eggs for every occasion!
Whether you’re cooking up a bunch of Easter dying eggs, or craving a simple Egg Salad Sandwich, this method will give you smooth, hard, yet creamy yolks with no unappetizing green or grey ring. All you need are eggs, some kosher salt, a little baking soda, and water.
Suggestions for the Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
- The best eggs to hard boil are those that are at least three days old. Super fresh eggs tend to be harder to peel.
- Don’t put your eggs into already boiling water. Place them in the pan first, then add cold water until there’s about an inch or so of water covering the eggs.
- The key to making perfect hard boiled eggs on the inside is to not over boil. If they’re too hot for too long you will get that greenish-grayish ring around the yolk.
- Add a little baking soda (about 1/2 teaspoon or a little less) to the water while boiling. This will make it easier to peel the eggs later on.
- Once the eggs are done cooking, give them a little crack and plunge them in an ice water bath. Only do this if you’re going to peel them right away. If you’re saving the eggs for later, just put them straight into the ice water.
- Hard boiled eggs will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator.
- They’re really only good for about two hours at room temperature, so keep that in mind when the Easter bunny comes!
Recipes that use Hard Boiled Eggs
These easy peel hard boiled eggs are the perfect ingredient to so many recipes! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Homestyle Potato Salad
- Sriracha Deviled Eggs
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Erica’s BBQ Cobb Salad
- Bacon and Gorgonzola Potato Salad
How to Make Perfect Easy Peel Hard Boiled Eggs
- Add eggs (making sure there is just a single layer on the bottom of the pot) to a large pot.
- Fill pot with COLD water until there is about 1" - 2" of water above the eggs.
- Add salt and baking soda. Bring water to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, reduce heat to medium and boil for about 1 minute. Cover pot and remove from heat.
- Let sit, covered, another 10-12 minutes. Strain water from pot and put eggs in an ice-water bath until the eggs are cool to the touch. (about 10 mintues)
- **If you are peeling the eggs right away, give them a little crack before cooling in the ice water bath... this will also aid in the peeling process.