There’s nothing like a good Egg Salad Sandwich, and this one is by far my favorite recipe. Smooth, creamy, and flavorful, you’ll love this protein packed lunch option!
Egg Salad Sandwich
This classic egg salad sandwich recipe is the perfect lunch option. We love to serve egg salad sandwiches during the days following Easter because my kids insist on dyeing what seems like dozens of eggs, and I’m constantly looking for ways to use them up. This recipe is creamy and flavorful and tastes delicious on croissants, toast, crackers, just about anything! I had a friend who craved egg salad sandwiches all throughout one of her pregnancies so I surprised her with a huge platter of these sandwiches for her baby shower. They were a huge hit! Easy to make and so satisfying, whip up a batch for your family!
The Secret to Perfect Egg Salad
The biggest secret to a great egg salad sandwich is knowing how to properly make hard boiled eggs. Good boiled eggs should have a beautiful yellow center with no grayish ring around the yolk. And they should be easy to peel. The method that has always worked for me is the 11/11 method. Eleven minutes boiling, eleven minutes in an ice bath. The ice bath is really important, dropping the temperature fast keeps that grey ring from happening. I also like to add a little baking soda to the water. For all our tricks on getting a great boiled egg, see our post on the perfect hard boiled egg method HERE.
More Tips for Delicious Egg Salad Sandwiches
- I love eating my egg salad sandwiches on a buttery croissant with butter lettuce, but you could put it on toast, crackers or regular bread.
- Don’t skip the fresh dill in this recipe; it truly makes all the difference. You can make it with dried dill but the fresh dill gives it so much more flavor.
- A lot of times we cook up a spiral ham for Easter which is really good to add to this sandwich as well. Just dice up the leftover ham into little pieces and mix it in with the egg mixture.
- For extra crunch, I sometimes add some finely diced dill pickles to the mix too.
- Serve with chips, a dill pickle spear and you have a perfect protein-packed lunch!
Super Sandwich Recipes
Never underestimate the power of a good sandwich. They’re easy to assemble and are hearty and delicious! Try a few of our favorite sandwich recipes:
- Apple, Ham and Cheddar Melt Sandwiches
- Turkey Bacon Avocado Panini Sandwich
- Grown-up Margherita Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Open Face Avocado Egg Sandwich
How to Make Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites, then chop the egg whites into small pieces.
- In a bowl, add the egg yolks, mayo, diced pickles, dill weed, mustard, and salt and beat until smooth.
- Add the chopped egg whites to the mix and gently stir.
- Cut the croissants in half and add some butter lettuce, then evenly spoon and divide the egg mixture between the two sandwiches.
- Makes two.