There’s nothing like a good Egg Salad Sandwich, and this one is by far my favorite recipe. It is smooth and creamy and flavorful, and just the best. Don’t skip the fresh dill in this sandwich, it makes all the difference. You can make it with dried dill, but the fresh dill gives to so much more flavor.
I also love eating my egg salad sandwiches on a buttery croissant with butter lettuce. This sandwich is simple, and perfect. After Easter we eat these a lot! It is a great way to use those leftover boiled Easter eggs for a yummy protein packed lunch And my kids think it is fun because they are colorful from all the dyes that seeped through onto the eggs. A lot of times we cook up a spiral ham for Easter which is really good to add to this sandwich as well. Just dice up the leftover ham into little pieces and mix it in with the egg mixture. I sometimes add some finely diced dill pickles to the mix too.
The biggest secret to a great egg salad sandwich is knowing how to properly make hard boiled eggs. I know everyone has their own method for boiling eggs. Good boiled eggs should have a beautiful yellow center with no grayish ring around the yolk. And they should be easy to peel. I think my method is as perfect as you can get, in it’s simplest form it’s an 11/11 method. 11 minutes boiling, 11 minutes in an ice bath. The ice bath is really important, dropping the temperature fast keeps that grey ring from happening. I also like to add a little baking soda to the water. For all our tricks on getting a great boiled egg, see our post on the perfect hard boiled egg method HERE.
- 2 large croissants
- butter lettuce
- 4 eggs boiled and peeled
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. finely diced dill pickles
- 1/2 tsp. fresh chopped dill weed
- 1 tsp. mustard
- salt to taste
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites, then chop the egg whites into small pieces.
- In a bowl, add the egg yolks, mayo, diced pickles, dill weed, mustard, and salt and beat until smooth.
- Add the chopped egg whites to the mix and gently stir.
- Cut the croissants in half and add some butter lettuce, then evenly spoon and divide the egg mixture between the two sandwiches.
- Makes two.