An Egg Salad Sandwich is a deliciously easy snack or meal. Check out this page to learn the ingredients, methods, and steps to make an egg salad sandwich.
The Best Egg Salad Sandwich
This classic egg salad sandwich recipe is the perfect lunch option. We love to serve egg salad sandwiches during the days following Easter because my kids insist on dyeing what seems like dozens of eggs, and I’m constantly looking for ways to use them up. This is the best egg salad recipe because it is creamy and flavorful and tastes delicious on croissants, toast, crackers, just about anything!
What is in an Egg Salad Sandwich?
- Hard Boiled Eggs – See below for our perfect hard boiled egg tips!
- Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise gives your Egg Salad Sandwich that creamy, smooth texture. If you can’t use mayo, then you can switch it out for plain greek yogurt.
- Mustard – You can use classic yellow mustard or dijon mustard.
- Chopped Dill Pickles – I love that the pickles add a little crunch. You can also use pickle relish.
- Fresh Dill – Dill is my fresh herb of choice, but you can also use parsley or chives. You just want something fresh to cut through the creaminess.
- Salt and Pepper – If you want to really up the flavor, then use kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Bread – Put this egg salad between two slices of bread, inside a pita, or a croissant, or even wrap it up in a tortilla!
- Lettuce – I like to top my egg salad sandwich off with a piece of green leaf or butter lettuce.
Tips for Making the Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
The first step to a delicious Egg Salad Sandwich is having perfect hard-boiled eggs. Follow these steps for success!
- The best eggs to hard boil are those that are at least three days old. Super fresh eggs tend to be harder to peel.
- Don’t put your eggs into already boiling water. Place them in the pan first, then add cold water until there’s about an inch or so of water covering the eggs.
- The key to making perfect eggs on the inside is to not over boil eggs. If they’re too hot for too long, then you will get that greenish-grayish ring around the yolk.
- Here’s our secret ingredient: add a little baking soda (about ½ teaspoon or a little less) to the water while boiling. This will make it easier to peel the eggs later on.
- If you’re going to peel the eggs right away to make an Egg Salad Sandwich, then give them a little crack and plunge them in an ice water bath. Only do this if you’re going to peel them immediately after. If you’re saving the eggs for later, just put them straight into the ice water.
- For all our tricks on getting a great boiled egg, see our post on the perfect hard boiled egg method HERE.
- If you have an Instant Pot, then check out our Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs recipe.
This Egg Salad Sandwich recipe is so easy! You will have a yummy snack or meal in just a few steps.
- Slice the hard boiled eggs using an egg slicer or with just a sharp knife. I like to cut the eggs longways in slices and then turn them the other way and cut them again.
- Add the eggs into a large bowl and mix with the mayonnaise, mustard, dill, pickles, salt and pepper.
- Spread the egg salad onto a bread of your choice and top with a lettuce leaf.
- I love eating my egg salad sandwiches on a buttery croissant with butter lettuce, but you could put it on toast, crackers or regular sandwich bread.
- If you want to spice up your egg salad sandwich, then add a little bit of sriracha or cayenne pepper.
- A lot of times we cook up a spiral ham for Easter which is really good to add to this sandwich as well. Just dice up the leftover ham into little pieces and mix it in with the egg mixture.
- For extra crunch, I sometimes add chopped celery or green onions.
- Serve with chips, a dill pickle spear and you have a perfect protein-packed lunch!
Super Sandwich Recipes
Never underestimate the power of a good sandwich. They’re easy to assemble and are hearty and delicious! If you loved our Egg Salad Sandwich, then try a few of our other favorite sandwich recipes.
- Apple, Ham and Cheddar Melt Sandwiches – This is truly the Best Grilled Ham and Cheese sandwich you’ll ever taste! Unique ingredients turn an ordinary sandwich into something extraordinary!
- Turkey Bacon Avocado Panini Sandwich – We LOVE this Panini Sandwich, it’s a favorite copycat recipe of the Gobbler at Pizza Factory. It is loaded with turkey, bacon, avocado, tomato, and cream cheese!
- Grown-up Margherita Grilled Cheese Sandwich – This Margherita Grilled Cheese Sandwich is loaded with mozzarella cheese and sweet tomatoes and basil pesto all on sourdough bread. Not your ordinary grilled cheese sandwich!
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches – This Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe is my go-to for when I’m hosting a luncheon or shower. Tender chicken, grapes, celery, nuts and a delicious sauce is a perfect combination. Delicious!
- Avocado Bacon and Egg Sandwich – This Avocado Bacon and Egg Sandwich is a copycat of my all time favorite sandwich at Fork in downtown Boise . It’s called the BAM Sammy. Bacon. Avocado. Mozzarella. BAM.
How to Make Egg Salad Sandwiches
Egg Salad Sandwich
- Chop the eggs using an egg slicer or a sharp knife. In a bowl, add the eggs, mayo, diced pickles, dill weed, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Mix until combined.
- Cut the croissants in half and add some butter lettuce, then evenly spoon and divide the egg mixture between the sandwiches.