This is hands-down my favorite tuna melt recipe. So cheesy and delicious! Just follow these easy tips and you will have a perfect tuna melt every time.
Though this tuna melt recipe is easy, it is definitely not your average tuna melt. Think of this as more of a “grown up” tuna melt. Years ago, I tried a tuna melt at a local Boise restaurant called Bardenay and I was blown away with how good it was! I immediately went home and added it to our usual sandwich rotation. Even my kids are crazy about these cheesy tuna melts!
What kind of tuna is best for tuna melts?
Albacore tuna, hands-down. The cheap 50-cent cans of tuna won’t cut it if you are wanting to make a GOOD tuna melt. I love using Albacore tuna because it has a mild, fresh taste. You can find a great canned Albacore tuna at Costco. It is a bit more expensive than other canned tuna but it is worth it.
Tuna melts with celery, pickles, or onion
If you want to add a little CRUNCH to your tuna melt, try adding some chopped celery, pickles, and/or onion. This is a total personal preference. I have tied many different kinds of tuna melts and for me, personally, I like it best without the crunchiness of celery in a tuna melt. Leave us a comment below and tell us which you prefer: crunchy or plain?
What to put on a tuna melt
I like to keep my tuna melts simple. I like tuna, cheese, and fresh garden tomatoes. If you are feeling adventurous, you could always try avocado, pickles, sauerkraut, spouts, or even boiled egg.
What kind of cheese is best
There are many different kind of cheese that go well with tuna melts. I usually like to make it with 2 different cheeses when they are available. My favorite combination is provolone and extra sharp cheddar. Other great cheeses to use are Swiss cheese, Havarti, Mozzarella, Colby Jack, Cheddar Jack, Monterey Jack, or Pepper Jack. All of these cheeses melt great and will give you that good “cheese pull”.
Tuna melt without mayo
If you aren’t a big fan of mayonnaise, you can always replace the mayo with plain Greek yogurt. This also makes the tuna melt a little healthier. You can also use Miracle Whip or even cream cheese.
How to Make the Perfect Tuna Melt Recipe:
First, you make the tuna mixture and spread it on a slice of bread.
Then you add some tomato and salt and pepper.
Then add your favorite cheese. In this picture I used 2 slices of Provolone but usually I like to switch it up and use a slice of Provolone and a slice of sharp cheddar. YUM.
Then cook on both sides until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted. Perfection.
How to Make the PERFECT Tuna Melt
- 1 (7 oz.) can albacore tuna (see notes above)
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 4 slices whole wheat bread (or sourdough)
- 4 tomato slices or to taste
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese (or extra sharp)
- butter softened, to taste
- Combine tuna, mayonnaise, dijon, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir with a fork until well combined.
- Spread tuna mixture evenly over 2 slices of bread. Top with tomatoes and a little more salt and pepper.
- Add a slice of provolone and a slice of cheddar to each sandwich and place remaining bread slices over the top, making 2 complete sandwiches.
- Spread butter over both side of each sandwich and set aside.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Carefully place sandwiches in the skillet and cook on both sides until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.