This Pumpkin Poke Cake is a rich, moist pumpkin cake topped with a creamy, crunchy topping. It is a delicious, seasonal poke cake that everyone will love!
The cake batter can be made one of two ways. The way listed in the recipe below (yellow cake mix, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice) makes a more dense, real pumpkin flavored cake. You can also use a pumpkin cake mix and prepare it as directed on the back of the box (don’t add the pumpkin puree or pumpkin pie spice). This way makes a more fluffy, light cake. Either way it is SO GOOD.
One VERY important note about this recipe is that you make sure to buy pumpkin puree and NOT pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin pie filling is too thin and runny and will not give the cake the right texture. MAKE SURE you get the pure pumpkin. To crush up the Heath or Skor candy bars, I usually unwrap the bars, put them in a gallon sized ziplock bag and hit it with a rolling pin. You could also throw the bars in the blender for a few seconds.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together the yellow cake mix, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie spice until it forms a batter.
- Pour into a well-greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Using the bottom of the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes all over the top of the cake (about 1 inch apart).
- Mix together sweetened condensed milk and 1/2 of the jar of caramel topping. Pour evenly over the cake.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Right before serving, mix the Cool Whip and cinnamon. Spread over the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle Heath or Skor bits over the top of the cake and drizzle with the remaining caramel topping.