This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
These Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting are the ultimate fall cookies. Pumpkin and maple are a winning combination!
Featured with this Recipe
This is the time of year when I love to bake cookies. I love surprising my kids with some homemade cookies after school every now and then. It’s also the time of year when we all start craving pumpkin. These Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting are the perfect fall treat.
The Jell-O Pumpkin Spice Pudding Mix is seasonal so you may want to stock up before it’s gone. They don’t last on the store shelf very long. I make sure to grab several boxes at the beginning of the season.
These pumpkin cookies are chewy and full of flavorful. The frosting is rich and creamy. The pumpkin flavor in the cookies and the maple flavor in the frosting really complement each other. These baking in the oven is always a favorite fall dessert!
Pumpkin Sandwich Ingredients
I am ready for fall! These pumpkin sandwich cookies get me all excited for apple cider, donuts, soup and all the other delicious fall foods. Use a hand mixer to help cream the ingredients together and easier on your hand.
- Butter – I used salted butter in the cookies. Set out the butter ahead of time to be prepared to have it softened for the electric mixer. It is best to use the paddle attachment when creaming.
- Light brown sugar – This will add sweetness but also when creaming with the butter it will create fewer air pockets. This will help give them a chewy and more moist cookie.
- Sugar – Helps lock in moisture to keep them from hardening once baked.
- Pumpkin spice instant pudding mix – Here is the secret ingredient! This will soften and add so much flavor to your cookies.
- Eggs – Using large eggs help add to the cookie dough.
- Vanilla extract- Just a touch of extra flavoring!
- Baking soda – Gives a thicker cookie base.
- Pumpkin pie spice – Store bought is perfect and is all combined for you.
- Salt – Adding a pinch of salt can help raise cookies and help keep the circular form.
- Flour – Helps thicken the cookies for more to eat!
We don’t love to make substitutions on all the ingredients but it is always great to know there are options for you.
- You can use either salted or unsalted butter for your cookies.
- Make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice using cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
- Buttercream frosting will work too!
- Change out the chocolate chips for any type of chocolate that you prefer. Try a dark chocolate or even a white chocolate to add a variety of taste and flavor.
Tips for Pumpkin Sandwiches
For these cookies, I added a little extra spice and made a simple maple cream cheese frosting for the center. They turned out so yummy!
- Leave out your eggs and butter to room temperature to help the
- For perfect sized cookies, try using a cookie scoop to help keep the cookies baking evenly.
- Use a cooling rack to help the cookies rest.
- Mixing at medium speed will help cream everything and mix together evenly.
“Love how quickly these sandwiches cookies go at all Fall gatherings and parties! Our go to recipe!”-Samantha
Frequently Asked Questions
Curious how long cookies last at room temperature? Most homemade cookies will maintain their taste and texture for up to 3 days. If you leave them out for too long, the cookies begin to harden or dry out. To prevent cookies from becoming stale, cover them with plastic wrap or keep in an airtight container
The main spice flavorings that are used in the creation of pumpkin flavored food products are cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
More Pumpkin Recipes
If you are in the mood for more pumpkin treats, try out these delicious pumpkin recipes.
Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
For The Cookies:
For The Cookies:
- Cream butter, brown sugar and sugar together in a large bowl then add in dry pumpkin spice instant pudding mix and beat until well combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and flour then beat until well combined. If using chocolate chips, fold in now.
- Roll dough into 1″ balls. Place them on a greased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 11 minutes.
For The Frosting:
- Beat together the cream cheese, butter, cinnamon, and maple syrup. Gradually add in the powdered sugar until all the sugar is completely mixed in.
- Add a spoonful of frosting between two cookies. Keep cookies refrigerated.