This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
These Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies are the ultimate fall cookies. The creamy maple filling is a cream cheese based frosting with pure maple. Pumpkin and maple are a winning combination!
Featured with this Recipe
This is the time of year when I love to bake cookies. I love surprising my kids with some homemade cookies after school every now and then. It’s also the time of year when we all start craving pumpkin. These Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting are the perfect fall treat.
The Jell-O Pumpkin Spice Pudding Mix is seasonal so you may want to stock up before it’s gone. They don’t last on the store shelf very long. I make sure to grab several boxes at the beginning of the season.
These pumpkin cookies are chewy and full of flavorful with a rich and rich and creamy frosting. The pumpkin flavor in the cookies and the maple flavor in the frosting really complement each other. These baking in the oven is always a favorite fall dessert!
Pumpkin Sandwich Ingredients
I am ready for fall! These pumpkin sandwich cookies get me all excited for apple cider, donuts, soup and all the other delicious fall foods. Use a hand mixer to help cream the ingredients together and easier on your hand.
- Butter – I used salted butter in the cookies. Set out the butter ahead of time to be prepared to have it softened for the electric mixer. It is best to use the paddle attachment when creaming.
- Light brown sugar – This will add sweetness but also when creaming with the butter it will create fewer air pockets. This will help give them a chewy and more moist cookie.
- Sugar – Helps lock in moisture to keep them from hardening once baked.
- Pumpkin spice instant pudding mix – Here is the secret ingredient! This will soften and add so much flavor to your cookies.
- Eggs – Using large eggs help add to the cookie dough.
- Vanilla extract- Just a touch of extra flavoring!
- Baking soda – Gives a thicker cookie base.
- Pumpkin pie spice – Store bought is perfect and is all combined for you.
- Salt – Adding a pinch of salt can help raise cookies and help keep the circular form.
- Flour – Helps thicken the cookies for more to eat!
We don’t love to make substitutions on all the ingredients, but it is always great to know there are options for you.
- You can use either salted or unsalted butter for your cookies.
- Make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice using cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
- Buttercream frosting will work too!
Tips for Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies
For these cookies, I added a little extra spice and made a simple maple cream cheese frosting for the center. They turned out so yummy! Here are some more helpful tips:
- Leave out your eggs and butter to room temperature for better results when creaming the dough.
- For perfect sized cookies, try using a cookie scoop to help keep the cookies baking evenly.
- Use a cooling rack to help the cookies rest.
- Mixing at medium speed will help cream everything and mix together evenly.
“Love how quickly these sandwiches cookies go at all Fall gatherings and parties! Our go to recipe!”-Samantha
Frequently Asked Questions
Curious how long cookies last at room temperature? Most homemade cookies will maintain their taste and texture for up to 3 days. If you leave them out for too long, the cookies begin to harden or dry out. To prevent cookies from becoming stale, cover them with plastic wrap or keep in an airtight container
The main spice flavorings that are used in the creation of pumpkin flavored food products are cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Flavors that work well with pumpkin for sweet dishes include maple, caramel, chocolate, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and vanilla.
Read Next: The Best Pumpkin Desserts for Fall
More Pumpkin Recipes
If you are in the mood for more pumpkin treats, try out these delicious pumpkin recipes.
How to Make Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies
Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies
For The Cookies:
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package pumpkin spice instant pudding mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1-2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips optional
For The Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 Tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cup powdered sugar
For The Cookies:
- Cream butter, brown sugar and sugar together in a large bowl then add in dry pumpkin spice instant pudding mix and beat until well combined.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and flour then beat until well combined. If using chocolate chips, fold in now.
- Roll dough into 1″ balls. Place them on a greased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 11 minutes.
For The Frosting:
- Beat together the cream cheese, butter, cinnamon, and maple syrup. Gradually add in the powdered sugar until all the sugar is completely mixed in.
- Add a spoonful of frosting between two cookies. Keep cookies refrigerated.
- For perfectly sized cookies, try using a cookie scoop to help keep the cookies baking evenly. Scoop the cookie dough, then hand roll it into a ball.
- For a creamy, smooth frosting, bring cream cheese and butter to room temperature before mixing the frosting ingredients.
- Allow cookies to cool completely before frosting.
Did you try this recipe?
Share It on Instagram!
Mention @favoritefamilyrecipes or tag #favoritefamilyrecipes!
I see chocolate chips in the ingred. list, but not where to add them in the dough.?
Thanks for catching that! The chocolate chips are optional and you would add them after fully incorporating the flour into the cookie dough. I will fix the recipe.
Love how quickly these sandwiches cookies go at all Fall gatherings and parties! Our go to recipe!
These pumpkin cookies are the perfect recipe to enjoy during the fall! They’re super soft and I love that maple/cinnamon frosting!
Where can I find pumpkin spice pudding?
You should be able to find it at most grocery stores anytime now that we are into the fall season. I found it last year at Wal-mart. It is also available to buy on Amazon, but it’s a little pricey right now. I think I’ll stock up as soon as I see it this season. Thank you for asking!
I am making these this weekend! They look fabulous!
WHOA! My mouth is watering!!!