Pumpkin Scones, with chocolate cream cheese frosting will become one of your fall favorites this year! Sweet and spicy pumpkin scones pair perfectly with sweet icing. Delicious!
Pumpkin Scones are our family’s new favorite fall treat! We serve them at breakfast, for an after school snack, for dessert, just about anytime a sweet tooth strikes. The light and fluffy scones are super simple to whip up, and they bake beautifully. We love to add chocolate chips right in the batter for extra sweetness. Then top them with a chocolate cream cheese glaze on top or regular cream cheese frosting or even just a dusting of powdered sugar. There’s something so comforting about a warm, pumpkin spice scone paired with a cup of cocoa or your favorite tea in the morning. Bake a batch for your family this fall!
Tips for Light and Fluffy Scones
Scones are really easy to make, and by following a few simple tips, you’ll get light as air scones every time!
- Don’t soften your butter before mixing. The colder the butter, the better!
- Cut your butter into cubes or sticks for easier mixing. Make sure they’re cold! If your kitchen is hot, toss the butter into the freezer for a few minutes until you need it.
- Make sure to measure your flour with a sifter or spoon it into your measuring cup. Scooping the flour directly into the measuring cup can make it too dense, and give your scones a heavier texture.
- Using canned pumpkin in this recipe adds plenty of moisture, so you may not need all the milk the recipe calls for. Try a tablespoon at a time until the dough forms a soft ball.
- Avoid using a mixer for this recipe. You can use a pastry cutter to cut in your butter, which gives it a pea sized texture.
- Don’t overmix! Mixing the dough too much will result in tough scones.
More of our Favorite Fall Pumpkin Recipes
Fall means all the pumpkin recipes! Try some of our very favorites and enjoy the season!
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Pumpkin Poke Cake Recipe
- 3 Ingredient Pumpkin Drop Cookies
- Pumpkin Rolls
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Sheet Cake
How to Make Pumpkin Scones
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder,salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Cut in butter with pastry cutter until butter is mixed in (no larger than pea sized).
- In separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, milk and egg.
- Slowly fold pumpkin mixture into dry ingredients. If using chocolate chips, fold them in now as well.
- Should start to form into a soft ball. (If needed add more flour until you can form that soft dough ball.)
- Put dough ball out onto floured surface. Knead 5 or 6 times until smooth. Flatten into round circle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut circle into 8 triangle shaped scones.
- Place scones on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Combine all frosting ingredients. Beat together with mixer until smooth. Drizzle over the top of cooled scones.