This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Scalloped Sweet Potatoes are the dessert—or side dish!—that you’ve been waiting for. With thinly sliced sweet potatoes coated in brown sugar, baked with chocolate chips, roasted almonds, and toasty marshmallows, everyone will be clamoring for seconds.
Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
Oh man. My mouth is watering just thinking about these scalloped sweet potatoes. This is one of my favorite dishes. It’s practically guaranteed that if you make this, you’ll have everyone at the table asking you for the recipe. It’s that good!
If you are a fan of rocky road flavor, you’ll especially love this one. It has thinly sliced sweet potatoes baked until fork tender at the base, topped with marshmallows, chocolate chips, and a sprinkling of almonds. Add a butter and brown sugar mixture and you’ve got one fantastic potato dish.
Should this Potato Recipe be a Side Dish or a Dessert?
I don’t know if scalloped sweet potatoes should be considered a side dish or a dessert. It’s got the savory flavor thanks to the sweet potatoes and plenty of sweetness thanks to the toppings. Whether you serve it with your meal as a side or afterward as a dessert, you can’t go wrong.
Make This for More than Just Thanksgiving
Yes, these scalloped sweet potatoes are definitely a good dish to bring to Thanksgiving dinner. However, that doesn’t mean it’s the only time you can make it!
If you are looking for a delicious potato recipe, or you need a new idea on what to make for dinner, this recipe is a great one! Kids won’t complain about eating sweet potatoes either, they will be too distracted by the sweet toasty marshmallows and crunchy almonds to even think twice about this being a sweet potato dish.
What’s in These Potatoes?
These sweet potatoes are sliced thin and coated in brown sugar and baked up with mini chocolate chips, roasted almonds, and toasty marshmallows. While it bakes the brown sugar and chocolate melt together to make a delicious sauce that coats the potatoes. It is WAY better than your Grandma’s sweet potato casserole. Sorry, gram, it’s true!
More Sweet Side Dish Recipes:
- Sweet Corn Cakes (Tamalitos)
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Coconut Pecan Topping
- Coconut Pecan Sweet Potato Halves
- Sweet Potato Fries with Chipotle Lime Dip
How to Make Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
Rocky Road Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- 9×13 inch pan
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, melt the butter in the microwave then stir in the brown sugar.
- Place the thinly sliced sweet potatoes in a large bowl and thoroughly toss them in the butter/brown sugar mixture until the potatoes are coated.
- Pour half of the potatoes in a 9×13 pan. Then sprinkle on half of the chocolate chips, chopped almonds, and marshmallows. Pour on the remaining half of the sweet potatoes. The pan will be heaping, but it will sink down as it cooks.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from oven and and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Set the broiler on the oven to high.
- Add the remaining marshmallows to the pan and put under the broiler until the tops of the marshmallows are toasted. Watch it closely, they toast up fast!
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 more minutes, then sprinkle the top with remaining almonds and chocolate chips.