This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Sweet Potato Fries Dipping Sauce has a spicy kick that pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the potatoes. A delicious snack or side to so many meals, and it’s super easy to make!
Featured with this recipe
Sweet potato fries are a healthy and popular alternative to French fries. And rightly so, they are crispy, colorful, and packed with flavor. Sweet fries pair nicely with all kinds of dipping sauces, but my favorite is our sweet potato fries dipping sauce. The flavor combination will have your taste buds exploding!
With the combination of Chipotle powder, lime and other spices, it balances out the sweetness of the potatoes to perfection. And it’s actually pretty mild as far as hotness, just loaded with flavor. Of course, you can make it as spicy as you’d like. Try this spicy chipotle dip the next time you’re craving sweet potato fries. So good!
Ingredients in Sweet Potato Fries Dipping Sauce
This list of ingredients is simple, but packs a lot of flavors. You will find most, if not all of these ingredients in your pantry. It is a quick and easy dip to make right before dinner and can be stored for a period of time to keep fresh!
- Mayonnaise – Creaminess with a thick texture to add a cold flavor.
- Fresh lime juice – Slice a lime in half and give it a big squeeze into the mayo.
- Ground Chipotle powder – Smoky with a bit of heat and sweetness in this spice.
- Chili powder – Just a little heat to make this sauce the most flavorful.
- Paprika – Added for color and a mild and sweet taste.
- Cumin – Has a rich and earthy taste to it.
- Garlic powder – Brings in the garlic without having to buy fresh and peel it.
Recipe Tips for the Dipping Sauce
This sweet potato fries dip mixture is my absolute favorite! It is full of all the flavors with a beautiful orange color that looks as delicious as it tastes. And it’s really easy to throw together!
- Extra heat – For extra heat, add a few shakes of cayenne pepper, sriracha sauce, or your favorite hot sauce.
- Lime flavor – You can sub out the fresh lime for a couple of tablespoons of lime juice from a bottle, but I think the fresh lime juice tastes better.
- Sweetness – It sounds crazy but to lower the heat and add a little more sweetness, add a tablespoon of maple syrup or brown sugar to have a sweet addition to this dipping sauce.
- Reduce the calories! Keep calories down by using light mayo, or substitute all or part of the mayonnaise for light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
- Storing – Cover up any leftover dip and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week. It does not do well frozen.
“The dip is the BEST! Perfect pairing with the sweet potato fries. I’ve never enjoyed them with ketchup but this dip totally makes the sweet potato shine.”-Gina
More Dipping Sauces for Sweet Potato Fries
Our sweet potato fry dip is hands-down our favorite dipping sauce for sweet potato fries. It is tangy, savory, and balances out the sweetness of the fries perfectly. If you are having a party and want to provide more dip ideas, or simply just want to try something different, here are some more sweet potato fry dip ideas to try:
- Fry Sauce: Mix mayonnaise with ketchup or BBQ sauce for a sweet and tangy sauce. Try our fry sauce recipe 4 different ways!
- Honey Mustard: Combine honey and Dijon mustard for a sweet and tangy dipping sauce.
- Chick-Fil-A Sauce: Love Chick-Fil-A? Their sauce goes with just about everything. Including sweet potato fries!
- Garlic Aioli: Make a garlic aioli by mixing mayonnaise with minced garlic, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Sour Cream and Chives: Mix sour cream with finely chopped fresh chives for a cool and creamy dip.
- Spicy Ketchup: Spice up regular ketchup by adding hot sauce, sriracha, or chili powder.
- Greek Yogurt and Cumin: Blend Greek yogurt with ground cumin, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a pinch of salt for a tangy and slightly earthy dip.
- Ranch Dressing: Classic ranch dressing is always a crowd-pleaser.
- Cilantro Lime Dip: Mix chopped fresh cilantro, lime juice, Greek yogurt, and a pinch of salt for a zesty dip.
- Cajun Remoulade: Create a spicy and creamy dipping sauce with mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, hot sauce, and Cajun seasoning.
- Barbecue Sauce: Use your favorite barbecue sauce for a sweet and smoky dipping option.
- Horseradish Aioli: Mix mayonnaise with prepared horseradish and a squeeze of lemon juice for a zesty and slightly pungent dip.
Recipes for Sweet Potato Fries
What’s a sweet potato fry dip without sweet potatoes? You can use the recipe below or our easy recipe for baked sweet potato fries. If you are in a hurry, you can always cook frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer at 400-degrees F for 10-12 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sweet potatoes have a great flavor and taste with a sweetness to them compared to other potatoes. They are enriched by a warming seasoning like cumin, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper.
Always a popular choice is a ketchup, then another favorite is ranch. BBQ sauce, fry sauce, honey mustard sauce, or even campfire sauce. All of these are great options for dipping!
Dipping sauce needs to be refrigerated for five to six days long. You do not need to warm it up, just simply serve it any time you need a fry dip for the best sweet potato fries!
What to Serve with this Zesty Dip
These sweet potato fries are perfect to serve as a snack or as a side to many meals! Hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, or a good ole BLT are perfect to add a side of fries too. Try them with some of these favorite recipes!
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries Dip
Sweet Potato Fries Dipping Sauce
- Mix up the chipotle lime dip at least an hour before serving so the spices have a chance to blend together: in a small bowl, mix all the ingredients together and refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the sweet potatoes into long sticks and place them in a large Ziploc bag. Add just enough vegetable oil to lightly coat the potatoes, seal the bag and toss to distribute the oil evenly.
- Evenly layer the potatoes onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, turning often until lightly browned. Remove from oven and sprinkle on Kosher salt, to taste.
- Serve with the chipotle lime dip.
How to store leftovers:This dipping sauce needs to be covered and refrigerated. It will keep for up to a week in the fridge.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.