Coconut Pecan Sweet Potato Halves are a fun, unique way to have your Thanksgiving sweet potatoes. Not as much sugar as most recipes and tastes just as good!
I have been wanting to make these Sweet Potato Halves for a while now. I make our Baked Potato Halves all the time and I love sweet potatoes, so why not do a sweet potato version? What I found with actually putting the idea into reality was that I had to adjust the process of how it is done. Unfortunately sweet potatoes don’t hold the topping the same way potatoes do. So the solution was starting out the same way, baking the potatoes face down in the topping, then flipping them part way through the baking process. Not too much more work, but totally worth it! What makes it over the top delicious is the cinnamon marshmallow cream topping! Also, we ate these out of the skin like a boat, we aren’t crazy about the skin on sweet potatoes.
- 6 to 7 small to medium sweet potatoes or yams, scrubbed and cut in half
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 c. finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 c. sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 8 oz. jar marshmallow fluff
- 1 8 oz. block cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter and pour into a cookie sheet and spread evenly across the bottom. Generously sprinkle coconut, pecans, and brown sugar all over the butter. Place sweet potato halves face down on the butter and toppings.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, the topping should look nice and toasted. Flip sweet potatoes over and generously spoon the topping on top of the sweet potatoes. Bake 15 to 20 more minutes, until sweet potatoes are nice and soft.
- Blend all ingredients together well with a hand mixer. Refrigerate until serving. Spoon onto baked sweet potato halves just before eating.