This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Greek Salad with Greek Dressing is flavor packed and an amazing side to just about any meal! To make it a meal on it’s own, just add some grilled meat.
Featured with this recipe
Greek salad is one of the best-flavored salads with so much texture, vibrant color, and deliciousness packed into each bite. It is so simple to make and comes together with all the best ingredients. Enjoy this Greek salad recipe for lunch or a light dinner!
This flavor-packed salad with a homemade Greek dressing makes an amazing side dish or main meal any day. Slice up grilled chicken or steak for a complete meal. It is super easy to throw together and you can top it however you would like.
Greek Salad Ingredients
So much flavor in this Greek salad mix that is topped with fresh vegetables, sweet tomatoes, and a hint of mildness. Add a traditional Greek salad dressing and your tastebuds will be thanking you! So simple to toss together and make your new favorite salad.
- Romaine lettuce – This lettuce is light and fresh and is known to be one of the healthiest types of lettuce. It is a bright green color with delicious thick textured leaves.
- Cherry tomatoes – Sink your teeth into a small luscious cherry tomato. These are sweet, savory, and petite juicy tomatoes.
- Cucumbers – Slice the crisp cucumbers thin and cut them in half.
- Tomato and basil feta cheese – In your dairy aisle there are different flavors of feta cheese. This type is a delicious combination and tastes amazing! It is a soft cheese with a light and airy texture.
- Kalamata olives – These are rich and flavorful olives that are usually long and slender in shape and have a deep purple color. They are slightly fruity with a vinegary taste to them. Combined with the Greek dressing, you will love the flavor combination.
- Red onions – Slice your onions thin and long, or in large chunks to showcase the reddish purple layer. These onions are full of flavor!
- Peperoncinis – A curled-up pepper that has been marinated and has a sweet and mild flavoring. These can be sliced into thin slices or left whole in the salad. Either way, this Greek salad is not complete without peperoncinis!
Homemade Greek Salad Dressing
This light and creamy salad dressing is always a favorite and compliments this salad perfectly. These ingredients are pantry staples and are always great to have on hand. You can use Greek salad dressing as a brine to marinate chicken or pork too!
- Olive oil – Blend all the flavors together and give it that base and richness using olive oil.
- Red wine vinegar – This is the flavor of the homemade dressing.
- Honey – Sweeten the Greek salad dressing with natural sweetener from the honey.
- Lemon juice – This is a balance of the ingredients when stirring it together.
- Garlic powder – Adds that savory taste.
- Oregano – Use fresh or dried oregano for this salad dressing.
Tips and Modifications
Grab a large bowl and start making this delicious Greek salad. It is quick and easy to make in a matter of minutes. These tips and modifications can help you make the perfect salad that you will love over and over again. It is an easy salad to modify and add or substitute the ingredients for.
- Traditional Greek salad – You may be surprised, but some areas serve this salad without the lettuce. It is similar to a charcuterie board, but on a plate or bowl with only the toppings. A light and refreshing lunch that tastes amazing too!
- Cheese – Feta is the best option for this salad and most salads, but there are a variety of choices of feta cheeses and flavors. Pick the one that is best for you and what you feel will taste delicious with this Greek salad.
- Olives – If you are not a big kalamata olive fan, you can substitute it for black olives, or even use both types of olives in the salad.
- Meal prep – Make this Greek salad ahead of time and use it as meal prep. Place about 2 cups of lettuce in an airtight container. Place the toppings in individual bags or containers. Each day, grab and combine the lettuce with the ingredients and a side of Greek salad dressing. Mix it all together when ready to eat and enjoy!
- Greek salad dressing – I like to make the dressing in a mason jar, and then I can shake it to mix the ingredients together, and also use it to store in the refrigerator. It is easy to pour out of and seal back up with the lid.
Frequently Asked Questions
Greek salad is a dish that is from Greece. It is known to be served as a side next to a Greek meal. This is a popular salad in Greece and Cyprus. It is supposed to be a light and refreshing salad that is simple to make with fresh ingredients.
A traditional Greek salad consists of sliced cucumbers, fresh tomatoes, green bell peppers, red onion, and olives, and is topped with feta cheese. Add in some mint leaves for a fresh touch.
Because of all the fresh ingredients, you would think that it is the healthiest salad; however, it is one of the top, but not the healthiest. This Greek salad has veggies, healthy fats, and protein from the cheese to make this a well-rounded salad. You can add chicken for extra protein too.
Read More:35+ Easy Lunch Ideas (Quick, Easy & Healthy)
Serve it as a Side
This salad tastes delicious on the side of all kinds of different dishes. It adds depth and variety to your average meal. Here are a few ideas for things to serve with this Greek salad.
How to Make a Greek Salad with Greek Dressing
Greek Side Salad with Greek Dressing
For the Salad:
- romaine lettuce shredded into bite size pieces
- cherry tomatoes
- cucumbers peeled and sliced
- tomato and basil feta cheese
- kalamata or black olives diced
- red onions chopped
- peperoncinis sliced
- garbanzo beans
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoon honey
- 1 to 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and prepare the lettuce, then top with tomatoes, cucumbers, feta, olives, onions, peperoncinis, and garbanzo beans.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients and drizzle over the salad.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
No recipe visible on web site.
We are working on getting this figured out… not sure how it disappeared!
I love these Family Recipes
A lemon works, but why waste a lemon when rubbing the cutting knife under water is free? To avoid tears, cut off the root end of the onion first. If that sounds silly, remember – It doesn’t cost anything to try it.
Try rubbing your hands with a slice of lemon to get the smell of onion out. 😉 The salads looks delicious, I’ll be picking up the ingredients tomorrow.
To remove onion smell from
hands use a stainless steel spoon and rub hands with it under water. really works I do it all the time I bet you are. ! going to cut up an onion right now to try it lol. See it works! You are! welcome: ) Pam