This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Strawberries are the fruit of the summer. In addition to their ripe red color, the tender texture and sweetness of strawberries makes them a great addition to smoothies, salads, jams, pies, cakes, and other desserts. If you love strawberries like we do, you’re sure to enjoy these strawberry recipes.
A big, bright red, ripe strawberry is pretty much perfect on its own, but add it to breakfast, a salad, or a dessert and you’ve added something special. Strawberries add color and sweetness to a wide variety of dishes. When it’s strawberry season, which is late May and June in most parts of the country, find a farmer’s market and incorporate this essential berry into your diet.
Types of Strawberries
The three main types of strawberries are June-bearing, ever-bearing, and day-neutral strawberries. Each type has a different time and duration of fruiting and varieties within their category. There are 103 known varieties of strawberries in the United States and over 600 in the world! Some of the most popular varieties are listed below.
- Albion: day-neutral
- Allstar: June-bearing
- Cabot: June-bearing
- Camarosa: June-bearing
- Cavendish: June-bearing
- Chandler: June-bearing
- Earliglow: June-bearing
- Fort Laramie: ever-bearing
- Honeoye: June-bearing
- Jewel: June-bearing
- Ozark Beauty: ever-bearing
- Seascape: day-neutral
- Sparkle: June-bearing
- Tristar: day-neutral
Our Best Strawberry Recipes
Breakfast Strawberry Recipes
Strawberries are the perfect topping for crepes, pancakes, French toast, and waffles. In addition, try them on yogurt, granola, or a bowl of cereal. They not only add flavor and color, they are also rich in fiber and vitamin C. So, add some sliced strawberries and get a health boost for the day!
- Strawberry and Cream Cheese French Toast – This overnight french toast is prepared the night before, then baked in the morning.
- Banana Berry Smoothie – A refreshing, nutritious and filling treat or meal! A perfect blend of bananas and berries.
- Green Smoothie – A healthy vitamin packed blend of fruits and veggies.
- Kneaders French Toast and Caramel Syrup with Strawberries Copycat – This copycat recipe is spot on and the syrup is to die for. Best with whipped cream and fresh sliced strawberries on top.
- Make Ahead Breakfast Parfaits – A quick, healthy breakfast for busy mornings. Yogurt or Greek yogurt, granola, strawberries and blueberries to start your day off right.
- Easy Crepes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Filling – These crepes are easy to make and have a sweet, tart strawberry filling.
- PB&J Energy Bites – Little balls of energy made with peanut butter and strawberry jam.
Strawberry Jam Recipes
If you are growing your own strawberries or you’ve bought a flat, then it’s time to make some jam! It is one of the best ways to preserve that fresh strawberry flavor even after strawberry season has come and gone.
- Strawberry Freezer Jam -The perfect solution for when you have a lot of berries! Freezer jam can freeze for up to a year.
- Fresh Strawberry Jam – Fresh and tasty jam to spread on all your favorite breads.
Appetizer Recipes with Strawberries
Throw some color into your summer party with a strawberry appetizer. Try a fruit kabob, fruit salsa, or a strawberry bruschetta. Strawberries are also delicious on a fruit platter with some dip.
- Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Key Lime Yogurt Dip – Grilling fruit on a kabob really brings out their flavors!
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips -The perfect and healthy sweet dip, so good on the cinnamon and sugar chips.
- Strawberry Jalapeño Cheese Ball – This cheese ball has a little sweet and a little heat and is so addicting.
- Strawberry Bruschetta – A sweet and savory delicious appetizer to impress your guests.
- Easy Cream Cheese Fruit Dip – This creamy dip is perfect for strawberry dipping.
Salad Strawberry Recipes
Have you heard an apple a day keeps the doctor away? Well, have you heard that eating 8 strawberries a day can also boost your health? Check out these benefits of eating strawberries. To get in those 8-a-day, toss some strawberries into our Nuts About Berries Salad topped with a Creamy Strawberry Balsamic Dressing.
- Easy Fruit Salad – This fruit salad is a must for summer picnics and barbecues.
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad – Salad or strawberry pretzel cheesecake dessert? Either way it’s delicious!
- Creamy Strawberry Balsamic Dressing – This is by far my favorite dressing for green salads with fruit, the flavor is amazing.
- Nuts About Berries Salad – This salad is loaded with leafy greens, fresh berries, nuts, and cheese.
Cake Recipes with Strawberries
Who doesn’t love fresh strawberries on angel food cake, or any cake for that matter. They add color and flavor to any dessert. For a real treat, make our Fresh Strawberry Cake. There are fresh strawberries blended into the cake batter and the frosting. It is the best strawberry cake out there!
- Fresh Strawberry Cake – Strawberry cake with strawberry frosting and fresh strawberries on top. This recipe can also be made into strawberry cupcakes.
- Angel Food Cake – This light cake is a must with fresh strawberries.
- Frozen Layered Gelato Cake – Layers of chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla gelato.
- Hawaiian Guava Cake – This guava cake starts with a strawberry cake base.
- Strawberry Shortcake – Layers of flaky, sweet biscuit, tart strawberries and whipped cream, yum!
Desserts with strawberries are the tastiest desserts. They complement the flavors in light desserts, and bring out freshness in rich desserts. Strawberries can also be a dessert on their own, either dipped in chocolate or topped with some homemade whipped cream.
- Easy Fruit Pizza – A cookie dough crust with cream cheese topping and fresh fruit and berries on top.
- Mini Fruit Tarts – A mini pie with strawberries and peaches in the center.
- Mexican Baked Strawberry Empanadas – Strawberry filling baked into a cinnamon and sugar flour tortilla.
- Easy Phyllo Cups with Fruit – These little cups with cream cheese filling are easy to make but are gone in an instant.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries with Cheesecake Filling – These strawberries have a cream cheese filling in the center and are dipped in chocolate.
- Dessert Charcuterie Board – A board full of desserts including chocolate dipped strawberries.
- Fresh Strawberry Pie – This pie is loaded with fresh strawberries and topped with a homemade strawberry glaze all in a buttery flaky crust.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries – The perfect method for beautiful dipped strawberries every time.
Strawberry Cinnamon Twists
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangular shape. Brush the melted butter all over the dough. Sprinkle generously with sugar, then lightly with cinnamon. Spread a layer of strawberry jam over that.
- Fold the dough in half lengthwise with the filling in the center, so you now have a really long rectangle. Cut into 1 inch strips, twist, and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Let raise until almost double in size then bake at 375 for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes, then drizzle with frosting:
- Mix together frosting ingredients, then spoon into a plastic baggie. Cut a small hole off one corner of the bag so you can pipe the frosting over the pastries.