Turkey pot pies have got to be one of my very favorite ways to use up Thanksgiving leftovers! I like to get whatever veggies are leftover from dinner (peas, green beans, corn) and throw them in with the sauce with the other veggies as well. Couldn’t be easier! I, personally, like to make little individual pot pies for everyone (my kids love having their own little pot pie) but you can make it in a pie pan or even in a casserole dish. Totally up to you. When I do them for my kids I just turn them upside-down on their plates, remove the ramekin, and let them cool a little… they are a little too young to handle their own hot ramekin in front of them. You can make your own pie crust but I am just too impatient when it comes to dinner. I like the quick, easy, roll-out, already done crusts. You just roll em’ out and throw everything in. No big flour-y mess. You can also, of course, substitute shredded chicken for the turkey or leftover turkey gravy for the sauce. Just use whatever you have on hand! You really can’t go wrong with this recipe!
- 2 9 inch refrigerated, unbaked pie crusts (you can find them near the dairy section by the biscuits in the ‘pop-open’ tubes, it will be a box with 2 crusts included)
- 2-3 c. cooked leftover turkey
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 onion chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 2-3 carrots peeled and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 c. celery chopped fine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. milk more if needed to thin sauce
- 3/4 c. frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in skillet oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender (about 5 minutes).
- While vegetables are cooking, shred pre-cooked turkey into small bite-size pieces.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to bowl with turkey; set aside.
- Heat butter in empty skillet oven over medium heat. When foaming subsides, stir in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk. Bring to simmer and stir until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add more milk if needed to thin sauce.
- Remove from heat and stir turkey-vegetable mixture and peas into sauce.
- Place one of the pie crusts in a 9” pie pan or cut out to fit in individual ramekins. Poke a few times with a fork and place in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- Remove, and pour in the sauce/veggie mix.
- Cover with the other crust and seal the edges. Cut some slits in the top and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.