For me, the sweet pork at Cafe Rio is THE way to go. I love it! I always make a ton of it and eat it for days in burritos, enchiladas, salads… you get the point! It is so east to do too. If you want to skip the marinade step… go for it. I have done it before and it has still turned out great!
This (along with the other Cafe Rio recipes) is one of our most popular recipes on the site to date. We originally put this recipe on WAY back in 2007 and it has been the most popular Cafe Rio Copycat recipe on the internet. We have gotten rave reviews and great feedback. This pork is the real deal! Check out all the positive comments below! To ALL of our Cafe Rio / Costa Vida Salad copycat recipes, click HERE.
Our Version of Cafe Rio’s Sweet Pork
- 2 pounds pork (we use boneless pork rib meat)
- 3 cans Coke (NOT diet)
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- dash garlic salt
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 3/4 (10oz) can red enchilada sauce (I use Old El Paso brand, medium spiciness but any will work)
- 1 c. brown sugar
- Put the pork in a heavy duty ziploc bag to marinade. Add about a can and a half of coke and about 1/4 c. of brown sugar. Marinade for a few hours or overnight.
- Drain marinade and put pork, 1/2 can of coke, water, and garlic salt in crock pot on high for about 3-4 hours (or until it shreds easily, but don't let it get TOO dry) or on low for 8 hours. Remove pork from crock pot and drain any liquid left in the pot. Shred pork.
- In a food processor or blender, blend 1/2 can Coke, chilies, enchilada sauce and remaining brown sugar (about a cup, you can add a little more or less to taste..). If it looks too thick, add more Coke little by little.
- Put shredded pork and sauce in crockpot and cook on low for 2 hours. That's it!
Copyright Favorite Family Recipes 2012