These Apple Dumplings are like individual apple pies and they are very easy to make. Best when hot out of the oven with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Which apples are best for apple dumplings?
My preference is to use Granny Smith apples in this recipe, but there are other apples that are just as good. When baking with apples, you want to make sure the apple variety you are using is firm. Some apples break down when baked and become mushy and mealy — not good! I like Granny Smith apples because they are firm and tart, especially in desserts that use sugar. This dessert is not overly sweet, so a firm and sweet apple will also work. Jonagold, Honey Crisp, Fuji, or Golden Delicious apples would all taste great in this recipe.
They are the best when they are nice and warm out of the oven. Come to think of it, I have never had them cold, mainly because they don’t last even 5 minutes after being pulled out of the oven. I’m sure they are good cold, we just haven’t been able to reach that point yet. Serve these with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream and they are over-the top!
More Apple Recipes
If you have an abundance of apples this year or are just looking to try some new apple recipes, we have TONS to share with you!
- Dutch Apple Pie: This is our favorite fall pie. It is filled with tart apples and baked with a sweet and buttery crumb topping.
- Disneyland Apple Pie Caramel Apples: These Apple Pie Caramel Apples from Disneyland are my new favorite treat! Can’t make it to Disney? Bring the magic to your kitchen with this easy recipe!
- Traditional Apple Crisp: This is a no-frills, easy, traditional apple crisp recipe that can’t be beat. Just like the apple crisp the lunch lady used to make back in the good ol’ days (but better)!
- Copycat Bluebird Turkey and Brie Sandwich: Our Bluebird’s Turkey and Brie Sandwich Copycat is the best sandwich ever. It’s unique flavors are so good, like deli turkey, crisp apples, and brie cheese.
- Apple, Ham, and Cheddar Melts: Apple, Ham, and Cheddar Melts are my favorite lunch in the fall. It takes grilled cheese to a whole new level.
How to Make Apple Dumplings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and core apples and cut into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13 pan lined with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large bow. Add sugar and stir. Mix in vanilla and pour the entire mixture over the wrapped apples. Pour Sprite (or preferred soda) around the edges of the pan.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Spoon sauce from the pan over the dumplings when serving. Optional: Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.