This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
These Apple Dumplings are like individual apple pies, but much easier to make. We have a simple shortcut for the dough, which comes out flaky and buttery every time. Best when served hot and bubbly out of the oven.
Featured with this recipe
I have tried many recipes for Apple Dumplings, and this is definitely my favorite! The combination of flaky pastry , fresh apples, and the syrupy glaze combine for warm, comfort-filled, satisfaction in every bite. I like using regular white sugar as opposed to brown sugar. The texture and taste are lighter and more like an apple pie.
The added bonus to this recipe is just how easy it is to throw together. Another bonus is how amazing your house smells while these are baking in the oven. Trust me, everyone will come running!
Ingredients in Apple Dumplings
Once you pick your favorite apples, peel them, making sure to remove the stems and any leaves, and slice them into thin slices. After that, you only need a few other ingredients to make these delightful little pies.
- Crescent roll dough – this is such a simple hack and tastes delicious! So much easier than messing with pie crust with its shortening, flour and pastry cutters. Plus they turn out just as yummy.
- Butter – melted in a bowl
- Sugar – white sugar works great in this recipe
- Vanilla extract –
- Cinnamon – about a teaspoon. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.
- 7-Up, Sprite, or Mountain Dew – trust us, this is a necessary ingredient that takes this recipe to a whole new level. You pour it around the edges of the baking dish before baking.
Best Apples for Apple Dumplings
My preference is to use Granny Smith apples in this recipe, but there are other apples that are just as good. When baking with apples, you want to make sure the apple variety you are using is firm. Some apples break down when baked and become mushy and mealy — not good!
I like Granny Smith apples because they are firm and tart, especially in desserts that use sugar. This dessert is not overly sweet, so a firm and sweet apple will also work. Jonagold, Honey Crisp, Fuji, gala, Jonathans or Golden Delicious apples would all taste great in this recipe.
This is a classic Apple Dumplings recipe, but with a little less sugar. Our sister-in-law, Amber, made these for us. My brother is crazy about them because she made the recipe with Mountain Dew (his favorite thing ever), instead of Sprite. You can also substitute 7-Up, Sierra Mist, Squirt or any other lemon-lime or citrus flavored soda, however do not use diet soda.
How to Serve Apple Dumplings
These dumplings are the best when they are nice and warm out of the oven. The top crust is crispy, but the filling will be hot and bubbly, so you will definitely want to serve them on a plate with a fork. Spoon some of the sweet , syrupy, sauce over the top of the dumplings when serving.
Although the dumplings are fabulous on their own, a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream on top is also delicious.
Frequently Asked Questions about Apple Dumplings
Apple dumplings are basically a mini apple pie. Sliced apples, sugar, butter, vanilla, inside pie dough. In this easy apple dumpling recipe, the pie dough is replaced by crescent rolls.
Apple dumplings are best served warm from the oven. If you are eating leftovers, it is best to reheat them in the oven, microwave, toaster oven, or air fryer.
Apple dumplings need to be refrigerated or frozen in an airtight container or resealable plastic bags for later use. If frozen, let them thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Read Next: 33+ Easy Dessert Ideas
More Apple Recipes
If you have an abundance of apples this year or are just looking to try some new apple recipes, we have more to share with you!
- Dutch Apple Pie: This is our favorite fall pie. It is filled with tart apples and baked with a sweet and buttery crumb topping.
- Disneyland Apple Pie Caramel Apples: These Apple Pie Caramel Apples from Disneyland are my new favorite treat! Can’t make it to Disney? Bring the magic to your kitchen with this easy recipe!
- Traditional Apple Crisp: This is a no-frills, easy, traditional apple crisp recipe that can’t be beat. Just like the apple crisp the lunch lady used to make back in the good ol’ days (but better)!
- Copycat Bluebird Turkey and Brie Sandwich: Our Bluebird’s Turkey and Brie Sandwich Copycat is the best sandwich ever. It’s unique flavors are so good, like deli turkey, crisp apples, and brie cheese.
- Apple, Ham, and Cheddar Melts: Apple, Ham, and Cheddar Melts are my favorite lunch in the fall. It takes grilled cheese to a whole new level.
The Best Apple Dumplings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and core apples and cut into 8 slices each.
- Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll.
- Place in a 9 x 13 pan lined with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large bowl. Stir in sugar, then vanilla.
- Pour the entire mixture over the wrapped apples.
- Pour 7-Up (or preferred soda) around the edges of the pan.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Spoon sauce from the pan over the dumplings when serving.
- Optional: Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- OVEN: Place the leftover apple dumplings in an oven safe dish and cover with foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- MICROWAVE: Place one or two apple dumplings on a plate in the microwave for about a minute or until they’re warmed through.
- AIR FRYER: Evenly space dumplings in the air fryer basket so air can circulate around them. Using the reheat setting or air fryer setting, cook at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.