These Apple Fries with Caramel Cream Dip are the perfect warm dessert for a crisp Autumn evening. It made our house smell like apple pie.
Apple Fries with Caramel Cream Dip are like eating your own little apple pie with every bite. My husband and I dreamed these up while driving home from a family hike and couldn’t wait to get home to try them out. We both love apples but have a weird allergy where we can’t eat them raw, it makes or throats itchy and tight I know, it’s super weird and started when we were living in California, we can’t figure it out. As long as they are cooked, we are fine. But we have missed being able to eat raw apples dipped in caramel, so we came up with this delicious creation.
The apples slices are lightly battered and fried in a shallow pan, then sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. The caramel dip is creamy and caramel infused, and oh so yummy. The two together are a killer combination and a must try for apple season!
You can use any kind of apple for this recipe but we prefer tart and crisp apples, like granny smiths or pink ladies. Never make it with a really sweet and soft apple like a red delicious, it will not taste as good and get too mushy. Braeburn and Galas work great for this recipe too.
For the Caramel Cream Dip you can simplify it by using store bought caramel sauce. But if you want to make it extra good, try it with our homemade Caramel Butterscotch Sauce! It is my favorite, we use it on all kinds of desserts. It is especially good for this dip. If you do go with store bought, I like the Mrs. Richardson’s Butterscotch Caramel.
Apple Fries with Caramel Cream Dip
In a fry pan, or deep fryer heat vegetable oil for frying.
Mix together the buttermilk and sugar in a medium size bowl. Peel and slice apples and add them to the buttermilk mixture as you go to prevent browning.
In a shallow dish, put a layer of wonder flour. Pull the apples out of the buttermilk mix, one at a time and lightly coat all sides in the flour.
When oil is nice and hot, gently place coated apples into the oil so they are not touching, when the bottom side begins to turn golden, flip over and brown the second side. Quickly remove to a tray lined with paper towels to soak up excess grease and cool. Sprinkle immediately with cinnamon and sugar while they are hot.
Mix together the the cream cheese and cool whip until completely blended then stir in the caramel sauce. Place into a bowl for dipping and drizzle a little extra caramel sauce over the top.
More Apple Recipes:
If you have an abundance of apples this year or are just looking to try some new apple recipes, we have TONS to share with you!
- Dutch Apple Pie: This is our favorite fall pie. It is filled with tart apples and baked with a sweet and buttery crumb topping.
- Disneyland Apple Pie Caramel Apples: These Apple Pie Caramel Apples from Disneyland are my new favorite treat! Can’t make it to Disney? Bring the magic to your kitchen with this easy recipe!
- Traditional Apple Crisp: This is a no-frills, easy, traditional apple crisp recipe that can’t be beat. Just like the apple crisp the lunch lady used to make back in the good ol’ days (but better)!
- Copycat Bluebird Turkey and Brie Sandwich: Our Bluebird’s Turkey and Brie Sandwich Copycat is the best sandwich ever. It’s unique flavors are so good, like deli turkey, crisp apples, and brie cheese.
- Apple, Ham, and Cheddar Melts: Apple, Ham, and Cheddar Melts are my favorite lunch in the fall. It takes grilled cheese to a whole new level.
If you want to see ALL of our apple recipes, click HERE.