Apple fries are one of my favorite sweet treats! Crisp apple wedges are lightly battered and fried in a pan, then sprinkled with a cinnamon-sugar mix. What really sets these fried apples apart is the dipping sauce. You’ll love this creamy, caramel-infused dip.
Apple fries with caramel cream dip is like eating your own little apple pie with every bite. My husband and I dreamed these up while driving home from a family hike and couldn’t wait to get home to try them out.
We both love apples but have a weird allergy where we can’t eat them raw, it makes or throats itchy and tight I know, it’s super weird and started when we were living in California—we can’t figure out what happened. As long as our apples are cooked, we are fine. But we have missed being able to eat crisp raw apples dipped in caramel, so we came up with this delicious creation. I’m SO glad we did!
The fried apples are lightly battered and fried in a shallow pan, then sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. The caramel dip is creamy and caramel infused, and oh-so-yummy. The two together are a killer combination and a must-try for apple season!
Which type of apple should I use?
You can use any kind of apple for this recipe but we prefer tart and crisp apples, like granny smiths or pink ladies. Braeburn and Galas work great for this recipe too.
Never make it with a really sweet and soft apple like a red delicious, though. These types of softer apples cannot withstand the frying process. They’ll get very mushy and the flavor is not as good.
Caramel Cream Dip
You can’t make these apple fries without also making the caramel dip. This simple combination of cream cheese, cool whip, and caramel sauce is out of this world!
If you don’t feel quite up to the task of making homemade caramel, you can simplify it by using store-bought caramel sauce instead. I like the flavor of Mrs. Richardson’s Butterscotch Caramel as a store option.
If you want to make the fried apples extra tasty, though, try it with our homemade Caramel Butterscotch Sauce! It is my favorite sauce ever, we use it on all kinds of desserts. It is especially good for this dip.
More Apple Recipes:
If you have an abundance of apples this year or are just looking to try some new apple recipes, we have TONS to share with you!
- Dutch Apple Pie: This is our favorite fall pie. It is filled with tart apples and baked with a sweet and buttery crumb topping.
- Disneyland Apple Pie Caramel Apples: These Apple Pie Caramel Apples from Disneyland are my new favorite treat! Can’t make it to Disney? Bring the magic to your kitchen with this easy recipe!
- Traditional Apple Crisp: This is a no-frills, easy, traditional apple crisp recipe that can’t be beat. Just like the apple crisp the lunch lady used to make back in the good ol’ days (but better)!
- Copycat Bluebird Turkey and Brie Sandwich: Our Bluebird’s Turkey and Brie Sandwich Copycat is the best sandwich ever. It’s unique flavors are so good, like deli turkey, crisp apples, and brie cheese.
- Apple, Ham, and Cheddar Melts: Apple, Ham, and Cheddar Melts are my favorite lunch in the fall. It takes grilled cheese to a whole new level.
If you want to see ALL of our apple recipes, click HERE.
How to Make Apple Fries
For the Apples:
- In a fry pan, or deep fryer heat vegetable oil for frying.
- Mix together the buttermilk and sugar in a medium size bowl. Peel and slice apples and add them to the buttermilk mixture as you go to prevent browning.
- In a shallow dish, put a layer of wonder flour. Pull the apples out of the buttermilk mix, one at a time and lightly coat all sides in the flour.
- When oil is nice and hot, gently place coated apples into the oil so they are not touching, when the bottom side begins to turn golden, flip over and brown the second side. Quickly remove to a tray lined with paper towels to soak up excess grease and cool. Sprinkle immediately with cinnamon and sugar while they are hot.
For the dip:
- Mix together the the cream cheese and cool whip until completely blended then stir in the caramel sauce. Place into a bowl for dipping and drizzle a little extra caramel sauce over the top.