Feed and fool your friends and family this April! These April Fools’ Day Food Pranks – TV Dinner Cupcakes are easy to make, fun to serve, and taste so yummy!
April Fools’ Day Food Pranks
There’s nothing we love more than a good April Fools’ prank, and these food treats are a silly and fun way to tease your friends and family. From TV dinner cupcakes to mini candy hamburgers, we have some of the best food fake-outs for you right here! And the best part is, they actually taste so yummy! We got the idea for April Fools’ TV Dinner Cupcakes from “Hello, Cupcake!” There are so many cool ideas in this cookbook. It’s incredible how much the cupcakes look like an actual TV dinner!
The idea for these darling candy mini hamburgers came from a friend I used to work with back in the day. This is a great April Fools’ recipe for kids. No baking involved, just assembling (instructions HERE). Kids love tricking their friends with these. Cut up little apple slices to look like mini-fries and you have a full-on “Happy Meal”!
Suggestions for April Fools’ TV Dinner Cupcakes
- Use boxed cake mix to speed along the process. The best part is decorating so save some time and effort by using your favorite cake mix for the cupcakes.
- From start to finish, a dozen cupcakes took us a little under an hour (including baking time). So these really aren’t time consuming and they look like you spent hours decorating!
- Check out the recipe card below for ideas on candies to use for the cake decorations. For the peas and carrots we love using lime Runts and orange Starbursts. They look so real!
- For the drumstick cupcakes, either crushed Corn Flakes cereal or graham crackers work perfectly, so use whatever you have on hand.
- Mashed potatoes and gravy never looked more realistic when you use store bought caramel sauce. Drizzle it over the top of fluffy vanilla frosting and your eyes will deceive you! These are so much fun to make and eat.
More Delicious Cupcakes
Cupcakes are so fun to make and decorate. Here are some of our favorite recipes to try:
- Tasty Coconut Cupcakes
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- Mounds Cupcakes
- Cherry Limeade Cupcakes
- Nutella Swirl Mini Cupcakes
How to Make April Fools’ TV Dinner Cupcakes
- 6 vanilla cupcakes baked in silver foil liners
FOR THE DRUMSTICKS:
- pretzel rods
- 1 cup vanilla frosting
- 3 plain store-bought doughnut holes
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs or graham cracker crumbs
FOR THE MASHED POTATOES:
To make the drumsticks:
- Break off about 3 inches of a pretzel rod and place the broken end into a donut hole.
- Frost the donut hole and about 1/2 inch of the pretzel rod giving it a drumstick shape.
- Place cornflake crumbs in a medium bowl. Roll the "drumstick" in the cornflake crumbs making it look like a fried piece of chicken.
- Gently press frosted cupcakes in crumbs to cover completely then place a drumstick on top of each cupcake.
- Place cupcakes in a 6-cup disposable aluminum cupcake baking tray.
To make the mashed potatoes:
- Spread vanilla frosting on 1 cupcake, mounding it slightly. Use a small spoon to create a well in the center of the frosting. Place cupcake in aluminum baking tray.
- Place yellow fruit chew (smoosh it around the sides so it flattens and looks more like it is melting) in the well at an angle.
- Drizzle caramel sauce on top of cupcake so that it fills the well and spills over like gravy.
To make the peas and carrots:
- Color vanilla frosting with green food coloring and spread on top of 1 cupcake. Arrange orange fruit chews and green candies on top of cupcake, pressing them into the frosting. Place cupcake in aluminum baking tray.