This Easy Cheesy Brussel Sprout Sauce will have you craving Brussel sprouts all the time. It is also delicious on asparagus, broccoli, and cauliflower.
Why is it that brussel sprouts always get a bad rap? I must admit, growing up I was a little wary of them, I’m not sure why. Maybe because in all the kids books they are always knocking them or maybe it was just playground rumors? Either way, once I gave them a fair chance I actually found that I LIKED them! I don’t know when the big turning point happened, maybe around the same time I hit the avocado turning point? Who knows. Anyway, I love them now. I love them roasted, sauteed, steamed… even grilled!
Even though I am a brussel sprouts fan sometimes it takes a little convincing and some creativity to get my family to eat them. Tonight I created this brussel sprout sauce in an effort to get my kids to eat them and guess what? It worked. My kids are total dippers and this cheese sauce was the ticket to getting them to clear their plates. Of course, this sauce isn’t JUST for brussel sprouts. It can be used on broccoli, cauliflower, or any steamed veggie that needs a little cheesy upgrade.
You will be happy to know that there is no processed cheese in this sauce. We made it with sharp cheddar but I am sure any kind of cheese (cheddar, Monterey jack, pepper jack etc.) would be great too! Next time I think I will make it with pepper jack to give it a little kick.
Easy Cheesy Brussel Sprout Sauce
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan with the garlic over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in flour bringing the mixture to a light simmer.
- While continuing to whisk, slowly add milk.
- When the sauce becomes a gravy-like consistency, add salt, pepper, and cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Serve with steamed (or roasted) brussel sprouts or any other vegetable. Enjoy!