Parmesan Crusted Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce
Parmesan Crusted Chicken takes on a whole new flavor when topped with this creamy basil sauce. Whenever we are having company over for dinner for the first time, this recipe is right at the top of the “impress our guests” list! Tender chicken breasts are pan crusted with Italian bread crumbs, browned to perfection. The basil cream sauce is mixed with tons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and poured over the top. Serve with pasta and a green salad and you have a dinner your guests will be talking about!
Tips for the Perfect Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Thinner chicken breasts work best for this recipe. I always pound my chicken to about a quarter to a half inch thick. This ensures even cooking throughout without burning the outside crust.
- Add your butter to a screaming hot pan. Make sure that pan is super hot before adding your chicken. This will give your chicken that nice golden crust on the outside.
- You can also fry up your chicken in a little extra virgin olive oil.
- After removing the chicken from the pan, de-glaze your pan with a little bit of chicken stock or broth. You want all those bits of browned crust for your sauce. YUM!
- You can use fresh or dried basil in the sauce, either will work.
- If you can, try to use freshly grated Parmesan cheese in the sauce. It melts beautifully and gives the sauce a nutty, salty flavor that pairs perfectly with the chicken.
What to Serve with Parmesan Crusted Chicken
A simple green salad and bread is delightful with this recipe, but try a few of our favorite side dishes for a show-stopping meal.
- Best Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Oven Roasted Green Beans
- Parmesan Garlic Grilled Potatoes
- Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
More Impress Your Guests Dinner Ideas
You can never go wrong with a good chicken dinner. From a busy weeknight to a weekend get together with friends or family, try our tried true Ten Best Chicken Recipes of 2019 or our BEST Chicken Breast Recipes for ANY Night of the Week! Here are a few more meals that are guaranteed to impress your guests:
- Sunday Pot Roast (Instant Pot Recipe)
- One Pot Creamy Garlic Noodles
- Easy Cheesy Manicotti
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Easy Crock Pot Pork Chops
How to Make Parmesan Crusted Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce
- Optional: I like to pound and flatten the chicken out a little so it cooks evenly throughout.
- Place milk and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls.
- Dip chicken in milk, then coat with crumbs.
- In a skillet over medium heat cook chicken in butter until browned on both sides.
- Remove chicken from skillet and keep in a 9x13 pan in the oven on warm.
- Add chicken broth to skillet and stir to loosen up browned bits from pan.
- Stir in cream, basil, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and whisk in parmesan cheese.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and serve.