This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Chocolate Pudding Cake is probably the easiest chocolate cake recipe out there. There are only 4 ingredients! One of the best tasting chocolate cakes I have ever had.
Chocolate Pudding Cake
I got this recipe at a women’s retreat many years ago and it has been a favorite ever since. It was a suggested dessert for holiday entertaining because it is so easy to make, yet it tastes so good. You can put it in the oven right before dinner and it is ready right when you are ready to serve it for dessert. In this recipe, I usually use a Devil’s Food Cake mix, but a German Chocolate mix or regular chocolate cake mix work just as well. If you like nuts on your cake, you can also sprinkle chopped pecans or walnuts on top with the chocolate chips.
No Frosting Necessary
The amount of pudding used in the recipe makes the cake so moist and delicious. What I love most about this cake is that you don’t need to frost it. The hot fudge pudding cake itself is so rich that you can eat it as is. You can also simply add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. One of my favorite treats during the holidays is to serve it with a scoop of peppermint ice cream or with a big mug of hot cocoa.
Ingredients in Chocolate Pudding Cake
This decadent chocolate cake comes together with just four ingredients! Every bite is rich with chocolate flavor. Your chocolate cravings are sure to be satisfied with this easy dessert. Here’s all you need:
- A box of Devil’s Food cake mix – you’re just going to use the dry mix. Don’t make the cake according to the box.
- Chocolate pudding – you’ll need the good old fashioned pudding mix, the cook and serve, NOT instant
- Milk – you can make this recipe with boiling water or hot water but the cake batter is just more creamy and rich with milk. Use any kind of milk you have on hand.
- Chocolate chips – we like semi-sweet chocolate chips but you can add any kind you like.
That’s it! You’ll whisk the milk and chocolate pudding on the stovetop until it boils, then pour the pudding sauce over the dry cake mix in a small bowl. Fold it all together, then spread in a prepared pan (for this size you’ll need a 9×13 inch baking dish and bake.
How to Serve Chocolate Pudding Cake
I think this cake is best served warm right out of the oven. It makes the house smell wonderful. However, if you need to make it ahead to serve later, it is every bit as moist and delicious served cold. To reheat leftovers, simply pop a slice or two in the microwave for about thirty seconds and it’ll be nice and gooey again. Store leftover cake in the refrigerator.
Additions and Substitutions for this Recipe
This chocolate pudding cake recipe is perfect just as it is, but you can also dress it up depending on when you’re planning to serve it.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Drizzle hot fudge sauce over the top.
- Dust lightly with some unsweetened cocoa powder for garnish.
- Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the batter for an extra rich flavor.
- For a thicker cake, bake in a square baking pan instead of a rectangle.
Easy Desserts That Start With a Cake Mix
Using a cake mix for a dessert makes preparation quick and easy, but you don’t have to settle for a basic cake. There are so many fun and fancy desserts that start with a cake mix. These are some of our favorites.
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake – A rich, moist, and delicious chocolate cake that tastes just like the cake you can buy from the Nothing Bundt Cake store.
- Raspberry Lemon Cake – This cake is so cold and refreshing. The Jell-O gelatin in the cake makes it so moist and flavorful.
- Better Than You Know What Cake – Turn a basic chocolate cake mix into a decadent dessert. A chocolate cake filled with sweet, caramel filling and topped with toffee bars.
- Cake Mix Coffee Cake – If you like coffee cake, you are going to LOVE this Cake Mix Coffee Cake! I am a big fan of coffee cake and I am even a bigger fan of it when I can skip a couple steps to get it done quicker!
How To Make Chocolate Pudding Cake
Chocolate Pudding Cake
- 9×13 inch pan
- Hand Mixer
- Mixing Bowls
- 1 box Devil’s Food cake mix dry
- 5 ounces chocolate pudding mix cook and serve, not instant
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Gather your ingredients.
- Pour contents of cake mix box into a large bowl.
- Stir dry pudding mix and milk together in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Fold cooked pudding into the dry cake mix.
- Pour mixture into a 9×13 pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- This cake is delicious served warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
Has anyone tried this with a gluten-free box chocolate cake mix?? I want to make this for my daughter’s birthday next week but I need it to be gluten-free so the whole family can enjoy.
See More Comments