This Chocolate Pudding Cake is probably the easiest chocolate cake recipe out there. There are only 4 ingredients! It is also one of the best tasting chocolate cakes I have ever had.
The amount of pudding used in the recipe makes the cake so moist and delicious. What I love most about this cake is that you don’t need to frost it. The cake itself is so rich that you can eat it alone or just add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. One of my favorite treats during the holidays is to serve it with a scoop of peppermint ice cream or with a big mug of hot cocoa. I think this cake is best served warm right out of the oven. It makes the house smell wonderful. However, if you need to make it ahead to serve later, it is every bit as moist and delicious served cold.
I got this recipe at a women’s retreat many years ago and it has been a favorite ever since. It was a suggested dessert for holiday entertaining because it is so easy to make yet it tastes so good. You can put it in the oven right before dinner and it is ready right when you are ready to serve it for dessert. In this recipe, I usually use a Devil’s Food Cake mix, but a German Chocolate mix or regular chocolate cake mix work just as well. If you like nuts on your cake, you can also sprinkle chopped pecans or walnuts on top with the chocolate chips.
Chocolate Pudding Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Pour contents of cake mix box into a large bowl.
Stir dry pudding mix and milk together in a medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring constantly.
Fold cooked pudding into the dry cake mix.
Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly on top.
Bake for 30-35 minutes.
This cake is delicious served warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
More Easy Desserts That Start With a Cake Mix
Using a cake mix for a dessert makes preparation quick and easy, but you don’t have to settle for a basic cake. There are so many fun and fancy desserts that start with a cake mix. These are some of our favorites.
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake – A rich, moist, and delicious chocolate cake that tastes just like the cake you can buy from the Nothing Bundt Cake store.
- Raspberry Lemon Cake – This cake is so cold and refreshing. The Jell-O gelatin in the cake makes it so moist and flavorful.
- Better Than You Know What Cake – Turn a basic chocolate cake mix into a decadent dessert. A chocolate cake filled with sweet, caramel filling and topped with toffee bars.
- German Chocolate Cookie Bars – These bars have a chewy chocolate cookie layer topped with gooey homemade German chocolate coconut frosting.
- Cake Mix Coffee Cake – If you like coffee cake, you are going to LOVE this Cake Mix Coffee Cake! I am a big fan of coffee cake and I am even a bigger fan of it when I can skip a couple steps to get it done quicker!