This Chocolate Pudding Cake is probably the easiest chocolate cake recipe out there. There are only 4 ingredients! It is also one of the best tasting chocolate cakes I have ever had.
The amount of pudding used in the recipe makes the cake so moist and delicious. What I love most about this cake is that you don’t need to frost it. The cake itself is so rich that you can eat it alone or just add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. One of my favorite treats during the holidays is to serve it with a scoop of peppermint ice cream or with a big mug of hot cocoa. I think this cake is best served warm right out of the oven. It makes the house smell wonderful. However, if you need to make it ahead to serve later, it is every bit as moist and delicious served cold.
I got this recipe at a women’s retreat many years ago and it has been a favorite ever since. It was a suggested dessert for holiday entertaining because it is so easy to make yet it tastes so good. In this recipe, I usually use a Devil’s Food Cake mix, but a German Chocolate or regular chocolate cake mix works just as well. If you like nuts on your cake, you can also sprinkle chopped pecans on top with the chocolate chips.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pour contents of cake mix box into a large bowl.
- Stir dry pudding mix and milk together in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Fold cooked pudding into the dry cake mix.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- This cake is delicious served warm with whipped cream or ice cream.