Coconut Macaroon Cookies are slightly crisp on the outside with chewy coconut on the inside. Perfect for Easter, parties, dessert, or just a quick treat!
I had no idea Coconut Macaroons were so easy to make! There are only 5 ingredients in this recipe! These delicious cookies are lightly browned and crisp on the outside, and chewy and moist on the inside. My daughter found this recipe while searching for ideas for her graduation party. She decorated with pastel colors and wanted a white or cream-colored dessert that would look pretty on her fun polka-dot plates. Like her mother, she loves coconut and thought these would go well with her party theme. She was right – they were a hit!
Macaroons vs Macarons
You may be wondering why these aren’t little pastel colored cookie sandwiches with frosting in the middle. That’s because you’re thinking about macarONs. These are macarOONs! People pronounce them wrong all the time, so don’t feel bad. I know, I know its confusing but they are both delicious treats so you really can’t go wrong!
Tips on Making Coconut Macaroons
I’ve never made coconut macaroons before and was a little surprised at how long they take to bake in the oven. They are thick in the middle and need more time to cook thoroughly without burning on the outer edges and on top. Make sure your oven is at exactly 325 degrees before putting in the cookies! If your oven has hot spots be sure to rotate your baking sheet while cooking to prevent cookies from burning. Once cooled, coconut macaroons should be stored in an airtight container. After you cook these, they keep 3 days at room temperature, and 5 days in the refrigerator.
Other Delicious Coconut Recipes
If you love our Coconut Macaroons recipe, try some of our other coconut recipes!
- Graham Cracker Coconut Cookies
- Coconut Cream Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Tasty Coconut Cupcakes
- Sweet Coconut Bread
- Coconut Lime Cheesecake Bars
How to Make Coconut Macaroons
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix on a medium-high speed until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is light and foamy.
- Stir in coconut until evenly blended.
- Scoop 2-3 Tbsp of batter onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Place cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.
- Store in airtight container for 3 days at room temperature, or 5 days in the refrigerator.
Optional Chocolate Topping
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl (microwave at 15 second increments and stir until completely melted) and drizzle over cooled macaroons.
The credit for this recipe goes to Sally’s Baking Addiction. Thank you for the great recipe!