This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
One bite of this Creamy Peanut Butter Pie and you’ll be hooked! The chocolate crumb crust is filled with a smooth and creamy peanut butter filling and then garnished with Reese’s peanut butter cups.
Featured with this Recipe
Cream Pies are a delicious dessert for any occasion, and this pie is no exception. I was invited to a Thanksgiving pie dessert buffet last Thanksgiving and this pie was the first to go. Everyone loved it! I had never thought of including a peanut butter pie with the traditional pumpkin and apple pies I make at Thanksgiving, but it has definitely made the cut. However, Thanksgiving will not be the only day it shines! The cool creaminess of this pie makes it an ideal dessert choice any time of the year.
Ingredients in Peanut Butter Pie
- Chocolate graham crackers – finely crushed
Peanut Butter Filling
- Cream cheese
- Peanut butter
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
What is the best crust for a Peanut Butter Pie Recipe?
This is a great question! Although the creamy peanut butter pie filling is a perfect match for a chocolate crust, it doesn’t need to be limited to chocolate. There are many delicious options, including:
- This recipe uses a Chocolate Graham Cracker Crust – which we definitely recommend as the first choice for this pie. See recipe below.
- Traditional Pie Crust – Try our Perfect Pie Crust recipe! This crust really highlights the peanut butter flavor. Also, try topping it with chopped peanuts or peanut butter chips for extra peanut flavor.
- Graham Cracker Pie Crust – The combination of graham crackers and peanut butter is fabulous! Have you ever tried spreading peanut butter on a graham cracker? You get the idea. Graham cracker crumbs, chopped peanuts, or peanut butter chips are all great garnishes.
- Oreo Crust – Purchased or homemade. Use crushed Oreos in place of the chocolate graham crackers in the recipe below. The dark chocolate flavor brings a richness to the pie. Save some crushed Oreos to garnish the top.
- Vanilla Wafer Pie Crust – For a milder cookie crust, Vanilla Wafers are just the ticket. As with the traditional pie crust, the vanilla wafer crust really brings out the peanut butter flavor in the pie. Use crushed Vanilla Wafers in place of the chocolate graham crackers in the recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions About Peanut Butter Pie
Cream cheese, peanut butter, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream
Peanut Butter Pie seems to have originated in the American southern states where peanuts and pies are both abundant and very popular.
Yes, just start with a gluten free crust. The filling and toppings are gluten free.
Yes, but it really tastes best if you make it fresh. To freeze pie, wrap it in plastic wrap, then place in an airtight container or freezer bag.
It is best to eat within one week of making the pie.
You can easily sub out another candy bar that you like better. This would also be great with chocolate chips, snickers, or Twix bars.
READ NEXT: Our Best Pie Recipes
More Yummy Pie Recipes
There is a debate in my family over which pies are best, fruit pies or cream pies. I favor cream pies every time. There is something about the cold, creamy texture that I can’t resist!
How to Make Peanut Butter Pie
Creamy Peanut Butter Pie
- 9 inch pie plate
Peanut Butter Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar sifted
- 2 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups chopped
Prepare the crust
- Mix crushed chocolate graham crackers and sugar together.
- Pour melted butter over the mixture and stir well.
- Spread on the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate, pressing firmly to form an even crust.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 4-5 minutes. Cool completely before filling.
For the filling
- Chill a mixing bowl and beaters in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Sift 1 cup and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Stir or beat cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth in a bowl (not chilled). Add 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla.
- Pour whipping cream and remaining 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar into the chilled mixing bowl. Whip until soft peaks form.
- Fold ⅓ of the whipped cream into the peanut butter and cream cheese mixture. Mix well. Add remaining whipped cream and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pour filling into the prepared chocolate crust. Top with chopped Reese's Peanut Butter cups. Lightly cover and chill for 2 hours or until set.
- Make the crust ahead of time and store in fridge.
- Make the filling ahead and keep in a separate bowl in the fridge.
- Wait to add the filling and topping to the crust until ready to serve.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
Enjoy the flavor and taste
Ok, this is the favorite pie at the holidays! No one can resist peanut butter & chocolate!
This pie will be the death of me! It is so incredibly smooth & tasty!! This pie just melts in your mouth!
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing creamy peanut butter pie recipe! Will surely have this again! It’s really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!
This is the creamiest pie ever! I love the peanut butter and crust together. It’s perfection!
I have just read your post, and I realized that I underestimate the beauty and the taste of a pie. I am going to the kitchen right away to make it. It sounds too GOOD!
This was so delicious! We made it last weekend and will definitely be making it again soon!
This is perfection in a pie dish! My son will love this for Thanksgiving!
Thank you for this recipe. Served it for Diwali this year. It turned out great.
I love peanut butter so much so this pie is right up my street!!
YUMMY! I can’t get enough of your pie recipes. WE drizzled chocolate over the top of this too. Because there can never be too much chocolate! So good.
We love peanut butter desserts, so this was a must try. It was easy to make and loved by the whole family. Thanks for the terrific recipe!
This looks wonderful! And with those different crust variations, I will have to try each one before I can choose my favorite! Excited for this experiment!
I’m looking forward to making this for the weekend. Thanks for the recipe. I love peanut butter and chocolate.