This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
“Curry in a hurry” is what they call this easy curry chicken salad recipe. It’s great on croissants, sliced bread, butter lettuce, crackers, or sliced fruit.
Curry Chicken Salad
This Curry Chicken Salad is a favorite during summer months at our house. It’s super easy to prepare, tastes light and flavorful and doesn’t heat up the kitchen. The curry flavor is mild enough to not be overpowering, but you’ll get a perfect kick of spices in in each bite. Make a big batch for your next picnic, backyard party, or potluck. It’s also fun to serve at a baby or bridal shower, because it’s easy to make ahead of time and looks gorgeous on a buffet table.
Salads as a main course are such a great way to pack in lots of veggies and protein while adding flavor and color to your summer suppers. Try our classic Cobb Salad or this pretty Layered Cold Pasta Salad and keep those ovens off during the hot months!
What’s in this Curry Chicken Salad Recipe
What makes this salad stand apart from regular chicken salad is the woodsy curry powder. It gives the salad both a sweet and savory flavor (think cinnamon, cloves, turmeric, and cumin) that pairs beautifully with chicken, fruits and veggies alike. The great thing about salads is you can keep adding or omitting ingredients until it tastes just the way your family likes it. But here’s what I start out with for this Curry Chicken Salad recipe:
- For this recipe I start with a base of rotisserie chicken, shredded. You can use boiled chicken breasts or roast chicken too. Use leftover chicken from Sunday dinner if you have some on hand.
- Red grapes – but by all means, use green if that’s what you have on hand. I just love the red color in the salad.
- Cashews – these mild nuts give the salad wonderful texture and crunch. You can also add in almonds, chopped pecans, or any kind of nut youi like.
- Diced Apples – I love using tart green apples or honey crisp apples in this recipe, but any type will work.
- Golden raisins – these beauties add a delightful sweetness and taste delicious with the curry flavors.
- Diced celery – adds a tasty crunch to the dish.
- Green onions – the mild flavor of these onions pair well with the sweet ingredients while not being too overpowering.
- A simple sauce made of mayonnaise, sour cream, chopped cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk it all together in a large bowl and add your chicken, fruits and veggies. Easy!
Health Benefits of Curry
It may look pretty and taste delicious, but there are also many added health benefits to adding a bit of curry in your diet. Curry is known to help boost brain and digestive health, help you feel fuller longer and even lower blood sugar levels. Plus, it’s easy to add into soups, salads, and main dishes.
How to Serve Curry Chicken Salad
This gorgeous salad looks pretty in a bowl on its own, but is delicious served a variety of ways:
- Pile it on croissants or whole grain bread for a delicious sandwich.
- Serve it with a platter of crackers for scooping.
- Slice pita bread in halves and stuff the chicken salad inside for a delicious pitasandwich.
- Scoop the chicken salad into butter lettucebowls.
- Use large leaves of lettuce to make lettuce wraps.
- Toss with cooked rotini noodles to make an easy curry chicken pasta salad.
What Goes with Curry Chicken Salad?
Serve this pretty salad on a bed of sliced tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and lettuce for a beautiful presentation. If you’re having curry chicken salad as a sandwich, a simple side of potato chips or fruit makes the perfect lunch or simple supper. It pairs great with other salads too, like this Easy Fruit Salad or our mom’s famous Macaroni Salad.
Make It Without Mayo
It’s easy to create the creaminess of a chicken salad dressing with mayonnaise. You can add extra protein by swapping the mayo out with plain Greek yogurt. Or use our delicious Pai Mai dressing recipe and add 1-2 teaspoons of curry powder. You’ll never miss the mayo!
Can You Freeze Chicken Salad?
It’s best to serve this curry chicken salad fresh or within a day or two of making. You can freeze the ingredients, minus the mayo, as mayonnaise doesn’t freeze well. Additionally, some of the fresh ingredients may not do super well in the freezer. A better idea would be to freeze the chicken, then throw the rest of the ingredients together when you want to make the dish.
How Long Does Curry Chicken Salad Last in the Fridge?
I love this salad the next day, so I always make sure to make enough to store in the refrigerator. As long as you keep it in an airtight container, it’ll stay nice and fresh in the fridge for three to five days. It’s great to pull out as a quick snack or late night supper.
More Curry Recipes
Curry Chicken Salad
- 3 cups chopped rotisserie chicken (or cooked chicken)
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2/3 cup red grapes (sliced)
- 1/3 cup cashew halves
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped Granny Smith apple (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (you can also whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream, curry powder, and lime juice together in a separate bowl first and then add to the other ingredients).
- Use rubber spatula to gently stir all ingredients together until well combined. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes to allow flavors to combine before serving. You can also refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve the salad on its own, on croissants (for chicken salad sandwiches), in butter lettuce bowls, or toss with cooked rotini noodles to make a chicken curry pasta salad.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
I left out the raisins because my kids won’t eat them, but it was still oh so good! I served it on homemade rolls and we loved it. Can’t wait to try your suggestion of adding pasta to it.
Such an amazing salad!! So flavorful and really delicious!
The combination from the curry to the classic chicken salad is AMAZING! I love how hearty and delicious this recipe is.