You can make this easy, flavorful apricot chicken in the oven, slow cooker, pressure cooker, or even on the grill. You just can’t go wrong with this recipe!
I have made this Apricot Chicken recipe FOUR different ways, all with great success. That’s really what I love most about this recipe. You can prepare it pretty much any way you like! You can have your chicken in about 25 minutes in the Instant Pot or you can have it be cooking for hours in the slow cooker. No matter how you make this recipe, it is going to be delicious!
Easy Baked Apricot Chicken
This is actually the method I use the most. It is SO easy and I can prepare the rest of the meal while the chicken is baking. Baked apricot chicken goes great with rice or alongside a side salad. The leftovers are amazing served over green salad the next day (try it with blue cheese crumbles and vinaigrette).
Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken
I like this method when I want to shred the chicken and put it over rice. The chicken comes out nice and tender and shreds easily. I also like this method for when I want to get dinner prepped earlier in the day. I love coming home and having dinner DONE.
Instant Pot Apricot Chicken
This method is great when you are in a pinch and needing dinner done, like now. I have gotten the burn notice before when I haven’t put the water at the bottom of the Instant Pot first. Adding water to the bottom seems to fix this problem. You can serve the chicken shredded or as whole pieces.
Grilled Apricot Chicken
This is my favorite way of preparing the chicken in the summertime. The apricot mixture makes for an excellent glaze. We have also tried it over kabobs and it really brings out the flavor of the vegetables. Try it with peppers, onions, pineapple, and, of course, apricots! You won’t regret it.
Frequently Asked Questions
It easily can be! Onion soup mix and Catalina dressing are the only ingredients in this recipe that can contain gluten. Both of these ingredients are available gluten free. Check the labels at the store.
Absolutely! Place the raw chicken in a freezer bag with the apricot mixture. Carefully press the air out of the bag so it will lie flat. Seal the bag. Using your hands on the outside of the sealed bag, shake or squeeze the contents of the bag to distribute the sauce evenly. Freeze for up to 6 months. When you are ready to use it, place the bag in the refrigerator for 24 hours or until chicken is thawed. Prepare according to recipe.
We like to serve Apricot Chicken with brown or white rice. Spoon the excess sauce over the rice when serving. It is so good! If grilling or baking the chicken, serve with baked potatoes or roasted potatoes. A simple green salad or roasted vegetables are sides that also go well with this dish.
How to make Apricot Chicken
Easy Apricot Chicken (only 5 ingredients)
- Cut chicken breasts in half or into serving-sized portions.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine apricot preserves, Catalina dressing, onion soup mix, and Dijon mustard. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Place chicken in a greased 9×13 baking dish. Pour apricot mixture evenly over chicken and bake 40-45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Place chicken in slow cooker. Pour apricot mixture over chicken and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low heat for 4-6 hours. Serve as whole pieces or shred.
Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot) Instructions:
- Put ⅓ c. water in the Instant Pot. Place chicken in the water and then pour the apricot mixture over the top. Place lid (make sure release tab is set to “sealing”) and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes and allow to natural release for additional 5 minutes.
- Place chicken in a large sealing freezer bag. Place half of the apricot mixture in a bowl and set aside. Pour the rest of the apricot mixture in the bag with the chicken and place in refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade.
- Grill chicken over medium-high heat for about 5-6 minutes on each side or until chicken is completely cooked through (internal temp of 165-degrees), brushing with remaining apricot mixture while grilling.