Buffalo Chicken Dip is my favorite tailgating dip for veggies and crackers! It is creamy and delicious, with just a little bit of a spicy kick.
Some people say that dessert is the best part of the meal, but I love a good appetizer. Whether you like dips, finger foods, or other snacks, we have a recipe that will have you saving the best for FIRST.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
My husband found this recipe on food.com and wanted me to make it for him a few weeks ago. Of course, I had to make adjustments to my liking. Surprisingly, this Buffalo Chicken Dip turned out WAY better than I thought it would. In fact, is possibly my new favorite easy recipes for Super Bowl Party dip! It is creamy and delicious, with just a little bit of a kick. You can serve it hot or cold. However you serve it, either way, it’ll be a hit!
What is Buffalo Chicken Dip Made of?
Buffalo Chicken Dip is made with just a few simple ingredients:
- Shredded Chicken – Usually I just boil and shred chicken breasts. However, if you are short on time, you can pick up a rotisserie chicken and shred that.
- Franks Hot Sauce – I am super picky about my hot sauce and Franks Hot Sauce is the only brand I like in this recipe. However, I have seen people use buffalo wing sauce to get more of that buffalo flavor.
- Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing – This really comes down to preference. Both are delicious!
- Cream Cheese – This gives your buffalo chicken dip that creamy, irresistible texture and flavor.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese and Blue Cheese Crumbles – You really can’t go wrong with melted cheese over the top!
What is Good to Dip in Buffalo Chicken Dip?
My favorite is to dip celery sticks in it (as seen above). It makes me feel like I am eating something somewhat healthy. Howver, the dip works great with all kinds of veggies – peppers, carrots, cucumbers, etc. Additionally, you can use any of the chips you know are going to be part of your Game Day spread. It also goes great on pretzels, toasted baguette, or crackers. It is pretty thick so make sure your dipper is sturdy, or that you have a spoon to scoop out anything that gets left behind!
Tips for Shredding the Chicken
When making Buffalo Chicken Dip, you want your chicken shredded as finely as possible. If the chicken pieces are too big then you won’t be able to scoop the dip up very easily. You can use the classic two forks method to shred the chicken. However, you may need to go back through with a knife and cut down larger pieces. The best way I have found to finely shred chicken is to use my Kitchen Aid. First, I throw the chicken in there with the Franks Hot Sauce. Then I mix it with the wire whisk attachment on medium speed. Finally, I scoop it from the mixing bowl right into the baking dish.
The name buffalo has nothing to do with bison. In fact, it comes from a small bar in Buffalo, New York where the buffalo flavor was born! It is a spicy and savory combination of hot sauce and butter.
Yes! If you want to prepare this dish ahead of time, or if you have leftovers, you can! First, freeze it in an airtight container. Then, before serving, let thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake as usual.
Absolutely! Canned chicken is great for when you are in a hurry, or just don’t want to deal with raw chicken in the kitchen.
Get Your Game On (In the Kitchen)
Planning to host a party for the next big game? Even if you’re just cozying up with a few friends, we’ve got all kinds of game food that you will love.
- Chili Cheese Dip takes five minutes to prepare and only two words to describe: Easy and addicting.
- Boneless Buffalo Wings are hot, savory and perfect as an appetizer for your next party.
- Bacon Wrapped Lil Smokies – seriously, what doesn’t go well with bacon?
- Spinach Artichoke Dip in a Bread Bowl looks beautiful and tastes delicious. Plus cleanup is a breeze – you just eat the bowl!
- Our Best Super Bowl Food Roundup gives you more than 50 recipes for your next game day party.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
Game Day Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 9×13 inch pan
- 2 Lbs. chicken boiled and shredded
- 12 oz Frank's Hot Sauce (Original — not Buffalo Style)
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 16 oz Ranch OR Blue cheese dressing (both taste awesome, it's really your preference)
- 2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 c. blue cheese crumbles optional
- chopped green onion for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a 9×13 glass baking pan, combine the cooked, shredded chicken meat with the entire bottle of Frank’s, spreading to form an even layer.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cream cheese and entire bottle of Ranch (or Blue cheese) dressing, stirring til hot and smooth. Pour this mixture evenly over chicken mixture.
- Bake for 25 min. Add shredded cheese and optional blue cheese crumbles and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
- Serve with celery sticks, Triscuits, or sturdy chips (regular tortilla chips will break apart). Garnish with green onion if desired.