This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Homemade Enchilada Sauce is so easy to make and tastes so fresh, you’ll never reach for store-bought, canned sauce again!
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Homemade Enchilada Sauce is so delicious and easy to make, there’s no reason to ever buy the stuff in the can again. This is actually the same recipe that can be found with our Kate’s Enchiladas from Scratch recipe, but has gotten so many rave reviews we thought it was deserving of its own post. Emily’s sister in law Katelyn was kind enough to share this recip with all of you. Ever since trying this recipe we have never gone back to buying red enchilada sauce from the store.
Suggestions for How to Use this Enchilada Sauce
- I like to double this recipe and put half in the fridge to use for later. It stays good for up to a week!
- Enchilada sauce can also be frozen.so you can keep it in a freezer safe container for up to two months.
- Use this enchilada sauce in chili or taco soup.
- You can also use it as your “red sauce” for Mexican pizza or as a layer in a hot bean dip.
- Try this homemade sauce as a marinade or put it in the slow cooker with chicken or pork to make shredded filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc.
Recipes that Use Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Restaurant Style Mexican Rice (seen in the pictures above): This is one of THE most popular recipes on our site and for good reason. This Mexican rice has gotten RAVE reviews and hundreds of positive comments and shares. It really tastes like the Mexican rice you will find at your favorite restaurants!
- Cheater Restaurant Style Refried Beans: If you like the smooth, creamy refried beans like they serve at Mexican restaurants, you will love this recipe! Pair this with the Mexican rice (above) and you will be in HEAVEN.
- Cafe Zupas Chicken Enchilada Chili Copycat: This is a great recipe for when you have some extra of this homemade enchilada sauce! Such a great recipe and tastes just like Zupa’s!
- In the mood for MORE Mexican food? Check out all of our Mexican-style recipes HERE!
How to Make Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Stir oil, flour, chili powder and cumin in a saucepan on low heat until bubbly.
- Add beef broth, tomato sauce, oregano, garlic and salt.
- Simmer for 15 min over low heat stirring occasionally.
- Serve over enchiladas, in soup, or store in an airtight container for up to a week.