When you see how EASY (and delicious) this homemade enchilada sauce is, you will never want to buy the store-bought stuff again!
Homemade enchilada sauce is the ONLY way to go when making enchiladas. It is SO easy and So delicious– there is no reason to ever buy the stuff in a can. This is actually the same recipe that can be found with our Kate’s Enchiladas from Scratch recipe. It is so good and has gotten so many rave reviews we thought it was deserving of it’s own post. This recipe comes from Emily’s sister-in-law (and our good friend) Katelyn. Ever since trying this recipe we have never gone back to buying red enchilada sauce from the store. It was an instant hit with our family and she was kind enough to let us share it with all of you!
Personally, I always like to double this recipe and put half of it in the fridge to use for later. It stays good for up to a week (maybe longer) and tastes great in chili or taco soup. You can use it as your “red sauce” for Mexican pizza or as a layer in a hot bean dip. You can also use it as a marinade or you can put it in a slow cooker with some chicken (or pork) to make a shredded filling for tacos/burritos etc… There are always delicious ways to use this up and we never regret making extra!
Because this sauce uses so much chili powder, we like to buy the chili powder in bulk. You can get chili powder in bulk bins for SO CHEAP at places that have bulk bins for spices– we like getting ours from Winco (the chili powder has a good flavor and you really can’t beat the price). Since this recipe does call for 1/4 c. of chili powder, we often get asked if it is spicy– I will answer that right here and let you know this homemade enchilada sauce is not spicy at all. It will only be spicy if you specifically buy “spicy” chili powder or add cayenne (which we have done before and it is actually delicious)
- Stir oil, flour, chili powder and cumin in a saucepan on low heat until bubbly.
- Add beef broth, tomato sauce, oregano, garlic and salt.
- Simmer for 15 min over low heat stirring occasionally.
- Serve over enchiladas, in soup, or store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Here are some awesome recipes that go great with this homemade enchilada sauce:
- Restaurant Style Mexican Rice (seen in the pictures above): This is one of THE most popular recipes on our site and for good reason. This Mexican rice has gotten RAVE reviews and hundreds of positive comments and shares. It really tastes like the Mexican rice you will find at your favorite restaurants!
- Cheater Restaurant Style Refried Beans: If you like the smooth, creamy refried beans like they serve at Mexican restaurants, you will love this recipe! Pair this with the Mexican rice (above) and you will be in HEAVEN.
- Cafe Zupas Chicken Enchilada Chili Copycat: This is a great recipe for when you have some extra of this homemade enchilada sauce! Such a great recipe and tastes just like Zupa’s!
- In the mood for MORE Mexican food? Check out all of our Mexican-style recipes HERE!