You have got to try our crock pot version of Cafe Zupas Chicken Enchilada Chili! It’s loaded with seasoned chicken, beans, and corn in a creamy, slightly spicy, soup.
Cafe Zupas Chicken Enchilada Chili
Cafe Zupas is famous for its delicious soups and for good reason. All of the soups at Cafe Zupas are amazing, but this one is my very favorite. It is so convenient to make in the crock pot. I have been working on a replica for Chicken Enchilada Chili for a while now and I feel like I finally have it. My husband actually prefers this version now. I am so excited to share this soup with you — and just in time for Cinco de Mayo. This soup is great because you can serve it as a side or as the main dish. It makes a great lunch or dinner and your kids will love it.
If you love Mexican-inspired soups make sure to try our Copycat Cafe Rio Tortilla Soup, Emily’s Southwest Taco Soup, or one of our Top 20 Most Popular recipes, Black Bean Soup. Any one of these are sure to warm you up on a cold day and fill that comfort food craving.
The Secret’s in the Sauce
What makes this soup taste so amazing is that it is made with red and green enchilada sauces. If you don’t like using canned enchilada sauce, we have a great homemade red enchilada sauce HERE. It is so easy to make and you will love the taste. I bet you have most of the ingredients to make it in your pantry right now. For the green sauce, just type “homemade green enchilada sauce” into Google and you will be swimming in DIY options.
The broth of the soup is a little cheesy, a little creamy, a little spicy, and a lot of yummy. It is loaded with shredded chicken, tomatoes, chilies, black beans, and corn. Then top it off with crunchy tortilla strips, shredded cheddar cheese, and some sour cream and you have the most incredible soup! To add even more of a homemade touch, you can make our Homemade Tortilla Strips for a topping.
Ingredients for this Chicken Enchilada Soup
It may seem like there are a ton of ingredients in this chili, but trust me, it comes together in a snap. Here’s all you need:
- Chicken breasts – they’ll boil right in the enchilada sauce. Chicken thighs work great too!
- Green AND Red Enchilada Sauce – read more on the sauce above.
- Cream of chicken soup – if you don’t want to use a can of soup, we have a delicious homemade versionhere.
- Milk – adds extra creaminess to the soup. It’ll also help thin out the soup if it seems to thick. You can also add a bit of chicken broth.
- Rotel tomatoes – or a can of tomatoes with green chilis added
- Some chili powder and paprika – for flavor and color. You can add more or less of these ingredients depending on how spicy you like your soup.
- Black beans -I love the black beans in his chili but if you don’t have any on hand, kidney beans are a great substitute.
- Corn – I stir in a can of fire roasted corn niblets but you can use frozen or fresh corn in this recipe.
- Cheddar cheese – use a block and shred it yourself. It’s so much better than the pre-shredded stuff.
- Sour cream – use a little in the souprecipe and some as a garnish on top.
- Top this white chicken chili with tortilla chips, green onion, diced avocado, cilantro, salsa verde, more cheese and sour cream.
What Readers are Saying About our Cafe Zupas Chicken Enchilada Chili
“5+ stars for this recipe! The flavor is amazing 🤩 soooo good especially if you love anything Mexican! You can taste the richness and calories but so worth it! Great for colder weather!” – Denise
“We love this recipe! I’ve made it several times. I’ve never actually had Cafe Zupa’s anything but this is close to Chili’s chicken enchilada soup. It’s one of those recipes that you can make your own- add more or less of the ingredients, add in extra stuff if you want and it’ll still turn out fine. I made it for work and for a baby shower and both times it was a big hit.” – Lisa S.
“I made a double batch and it was so large I didn’t think my boyfriend and I could finish it before it went bad. We ate it in 3 days for lunch and dinner because it was absolutely PHENOMENAL. I’m actually making a double batch again today, just week later haha! This is the best recipe I have found online. Thank you thank you thank you!!” – Sarah C.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s very easy to make this gluten free! Just look for a gluten free cream of chicken soup and make sure your red enchilada sauce is gf. I can usually find gf cream of chicken soup at Wal-Mart.
Sure! Make sure to store in an airtight container and freeze for up to two months. To reheat, simmer in a saucepan on the stovetop.
Yes absolutely! Cook your chicken in the enchilada sauce in the instant pot and then add all the other ingredients. It should turn out great!
Slow Cooker Soups to Try
If you like the ease and convenience of making soup in the slow cooker, you have to try more of these delicious slow cooker recipes.
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup: Chicken and Rice Soup warms you up on cold fall and winter days. It is also ideal for busy days. The ingredients go into the Slow Cooker in the morning and a nice, hot meal awaits in the evening.
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup: The variety of vegetables in this Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup makes for a healthy and hearty choice.
- Slow Cooker Cheese Tortellini Soup: This Cheese Tortellini Soup is a flavorful, easy slow cooker meal. Tortellini, sausage, and spinach in a creamy tomato soup and slow cooked to perfection.
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup: This is one of the easiest soups you will ever make; filled with flavorful meat and vegetables, everyone loves it!
- Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana Soup: Many agree that this Zuppa Toscana Soup Olive Garden Copycat is actually better than the original! It has a creamy both base and is loaded with sausage and potatoes.
How to Make Cafe Zupas Chicken Enchilada Chili
Our Version of Cafe Zupas Chicken Enchilada Chili
- Crock Pot Slow Cooker
- In a large slow cooker, add the chicken breasts and both kinds of enchilada sauce. Cook for approximately 3 hours on high until the chicken is cooked and will shred into the sauce.
- Add all the remaining soup ingredients, except the sour cream and cook for 1 more hour. Whisk in the sour cream and turn off the heat.
- Serve in individual bowls and top with tortilla strips, sour cream, and cheddar cheese.