I love the Cap’n Crunch Chicken at Planet Hollywood! I honestly can’t go there and without ordering this favorite appetizer. This Captain Crunch Chicken has a delicious savory sweet crunch, and a flavor unlike anything else you have tried.
Captain Crunch Chicken
I first tried Captain Crunch Chicken when Planet Hollywood opened in Las Vegas. Captain Crunch cereal was always a favorite of mine as a kid, and the idea of it breading chicken was so intriguing! It did not disappoint. The coating on the chicken is crunchy and yummy and bursting with flavor. On the inside, the chicken is moist and tender. The sweet honey mustard sauce balances out the flavors of the chicken perfectly. We also sometimes like to dip the chicken in fry sauce (recipe HERE). It also makes a great appetizer for having friends over to watch your favorite team play.
This recipe for Captain Crunch Chicken is a real kid pleaser, my daughter couldn’t get enough of them! Kids love the lightly sweet crunchy flavor of this chicken and tangy dip. My kids especially like to make them with our potato wedges and some carrot sticks or cucumber slices for a dinner of finger foods. This chicken is a meal the whole family will love again and again.
More Chicken Recipes
We have so many delicious chicken recipes, it’s hard to pick a favorite. We like to get the big bags of frozen chicken and use it to make all kinds of dishes. You can find all our best chicken recipes HERE.
More Copycat Recipes
If you like copycat restaurant recipes you are in luck! We have a big selection of restaurant favorites from sit down dining, to quick service, to fast food selections that you have got to check out. Find the full list HERE.
How To Make Captain Crunch Chicken
- Use a kitchen mallet or rolling pin to flatten each chicken breast to about 1 inch thick. Cut each chicken breast (lengthwise) into 4 to 6 long slices to make the chicken strips. Place chicken in a bowl, cover with buttermilk, and marinate several hours or overnight.
- Using a food processor or blender, crush the Cap’n Crunch cereal into crumbs. You can also place the cereal into a resealable plastic bag, squeeze out all the air, and roll over it with a rolling pin until the cereal is crushed into crumbs. Place the cereal crumbs in a bowl and add bread crumbs, flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Fill a deep fry pan with 2 inches of vegetable oil. Heat to 375 degrees.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk marinade and set aside. Whisk one egg into the remaining marinade.
- Dip one chicken strip at a time in the buttermilk/egg mixture, then coat each piece in the cereal crumb mixture.
- Fry each chicken strip for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown.
- When fully cooked, place each chicken strip on a paper towel or rack to drain the oil. Serve hot with chilled Creole Mustard Sauce and/ or Honey Mustard Sauce on the side for dipping. The chicken is also delicious dipped in fry sauce.
For the sauces:
- Blend ingredients together well. Chill for at least one hour before serving.