I love the Cap’n Crunch Chicken at Planet Hollywood! I honestly can’t go there and without ordering this favorite appetizer. This chicken has a delicious savory sweet crunch, and a flavor unlike anything else you have tried.
I originally found a copycat recipe for this Cap’n Crunch Chicken from an old Top Secret Recipes cookbook, but after making it the first time I made some major adjustments. Our version turned out so much better and the breading stayed on like it was supposed to, and tastes so much closer to the original at the restaurant. This chicken is crunchy and yummy and bursting with flavor. The sweet honey mustard sauce balances out the flavors of the chicken perfectly. We also sometimes like to dip the chicken in fry sauce (recipe HERE). It also makes a great appetizer for having friends over to watch your favorite team play.
This recipe for Cap’n Crunch Chicken is a real kid pleaser, my daughter couldn’t get enough of them! Kids love the lightly sweet crunchy flavor of this chicken and tangy dip. My kids especially like to make them with our potato wedges and some carrot sticks or cucumber slices for a dinner of finger foods. This chicken is a meal the whole family will love again and again.
More Chicken Recipes
We have so many delicious chicken recipes, it’s hard to pick a favorite. We like to get the big bags of frozen chicken and use it to make all kinds of dishes. You can find all our best chicken recipes HERE.
More Copycat Recipes
If you like copycat restaurant recipes you are in luck! We have a big selection of restaurant favorites from sit down dining, to quick service, to fast food selections that you have got to check out. Find the full list HERE.
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups Cap’n Crunch cereal
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup Wondra flour
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Mix together and chill in refrigerator.
- Cut each chicken fillet, lengthwise, into 5 long slices pounded flat (chicken fingers). Put in a bowl, cover with buttermilk, and marinate overnight. Just before breading, mix in an egg to the marinade. Smash the Cap’n Crunch into crumbs using a food processor, or put the cereal into a plastic bag and start pounding. Combine the cereal, crumbs, flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Remove chicken from milk and completely coat it with the dry mixture. Discard leftover milk. When the oil is hot, fry the chicken for 4 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove to paper towels or a rack to drain. Serve hot with chilled Creole mustard sauce on the side for dipping. We also dipped it in fry sauce and that was good too.