This Peach Galette is a warm, rustic dessert that is so simple to make. You will love the flaky crust and the sweet filling.
When peaches are in season (and even when they’re not!) I am always looking for every way to use them. This Peach Galette is one of my favorites. It is really easy to make, and it tastes delicious. The sweet stone fruit mixture combined with a butter pie crust is much easier to make than a peach pie and tastes just as yummy. I also just love the rustic look of it! This easy peach galette resembles a tart, or something I would eat at a cafe in France. It’s warm and comforting in the winter, but can also be served with vanilla ice cream for a truly delightful summer dessert.
Fruity desserts have my heart! They’re simple, sweet and totally satisfying! Indulge your fruit cravings and you sweet tooth with a delicious Dutch Apple Pie, a Summer Peach Crisp a basic Berry Pie or these scrumptious Strawberry Rhubarb Danish Pastries.
What is a Galette?
The word “galette” comes from a French word for flat cake. It is basically a freeform, flat pie disk with the crust folded up over the filling. The crust can be layers of puff pastry dough, a brioche, or a pie crust dough. A peach galette recipe is obviously filled with peaches and then flavored with spices, but you can use all sorts of fruit for fillings. You can sue blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, plums, nectarines, or other wild berries. Flavor them with a dash of salt, a dusting of brown sugar or the zest of a lemon. Galettes are famously very rustic and imperfect. It almost seems like the less you pay attention to the looks, the better it turns out.
About the Crust
For the crust, you can make your own, or use store-bought pie dough. I’ve done both and it works every time. If you do buy your crust, make sure you get the crust that is rolled and not already pressed into a pan. If you want to make your own, try our Perfect Pie Crust recipe. All you’ll need is a need is a food processor, a rolling pin, a floured surface and a baking sheet. Store leftover pie crust wrapped in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator. To get that golden crust, use a brush to add some egg wash on the top before baking.
Other Peach Recipes You Will Love
Peaches are probably one of my favorite fruits. They go perfectly in so many recipes! If you love peaches, try some of our other peach recipes.
How to Make a Peach Galette
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Pit and slice peaches. Optional: Remove the skins.
- Add peach slices to a large bowl. Add flour, sugar, almond extract, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Stir until evenly coated.
- On a floured sheet of parchment paper, roll out your pie crust until it is about ⅛ inch thick. Top with peaches. Leave a wide border around the edges for folding the crust. Do not add the juice from the bowl. The galette will be very juicy without the extra juices.
- Cut butter into small pieces and place around the top of the peaches.
- Fold the edges of the dough up over the filling. Galettes are meant to look rustic, so it doesn't have to be perfect.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with a few tablespoons of water. Brush over the crust. Sprinkle coarse sugar over the crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Serve alone or with ice cream or whipped cream.