Crock Pot Au Gratin Potatoes is comfort food at its best! It is a great side dish, or main dish if you leftover ham after a holiday dinner.
Crock Pot Au Gratin Potatoes
This is a no-fuss slow cooker recipe. All of the ingredients can be prepared quickly and easily. If you add ham, you can use any kind of baked ham or spiral ham and it will taste great. You can also use any variety of potatoes. I especially like the use of thyme leaves in this Au Gratin dish. Thyme has a light mint and lemon scent and taste. Just a little bit of thyme goes a long way and really adds a delicious flavor to this dish.
The term “Au Gratin” is French and refers to a dish topped with grated cheese and/or browned bread crumbs. It is difficult to achieve the browned look of au gratin when cooking in a slow cooker, but the taste of the dish is pretty much the same. The potatoes along the sides and bottom of the slow cooker do brown a little as they cook, and gently stirring the potatoes before adding the cheese on top will bring some of the more browned potatoes to the top. Typically, I use ham leftovers in this recipe. Since ham freezes very well, you can freeze leftover ham and save it for recipes like this. The ham can be added frozen to the slow cooker. It will thaw and warm as the potatoes cook.
If you want to make this a vegetarian dish or use it only as a side dish (we love using this as a side dish for Easter dinner), you can substitute mushrooms, carrots, or extra potatoes for the ham. You can also use our Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup Substitute in place of the can of cream of mushroom soup in this recipe.
More Crock Pot (Slow Cooker) Recipes
Crock Pot (Slow Cooker) Recipes are the best! It is so great to make dinner ahead of time and have it ready to serve after a busy day. Here are some more of our favorite Crock Pot Recipes.
- Slow Cooker Lasagna – This is the easiest way to make lasagna! You don’t have to boil the noodles ahead of time. They cook in the sauce and come out perfectly every time.
- Slow Cooker Pizza Bake – All of you favorite flavors of pizza in a hearty pasta dish. Make it with your favorite pizza toppings.
- Crock Pot Vegetable Beef Soup – A rich, stew-like soup with ground beef, potatoes, and lots of vegetables.
- Slow Cooker Kalua Pork with Cabbage – This is a Slow Cooker version of a Hawaiian dish often served at Luaus. The pork is tender, juicy, and flavorful.
- Slow Cooker Zesty Italian Shredded Chicken – A few ingredients are added to chicken breasts in the slow cooker to make a creamy, shredded chicken sauce that is delicious served over rice or pasta.
Try another great version of potatoes with these Parmesan Baked Potato Halves. They make a great side dish!
How to make Crock Pot Au Gratin Potatoes
- In a slow cooker, layer half of the potatoes, onion, ham, and cheese.
- Repeat layer.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together soup, milk, thyme, and fresh ground pepper.
- Pour over potato layers.
- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Crock Pot