Sour Cream Lemon Pie is a creamy, zesty, dessert that is perfect for summer. It is fresh and tangy and super easy to make!
This sour cream lemon pie is an all-around winner.. and it is SO easy! I know I might be jumping the gun a little because this is a Summer/Spring recipe and it isn’t even Valentine’s Day yet, but I can’t help myself! We have had a little taste of warm weather and I am in full-on Spring mode now! I am SO done with winter!
This recipe comes from our sister, Elise, who adapted this recipe from Tastes Better From Scratch. For the pie crust you can do either a traditional pie crust (click here for our favorite pie crust recipe) or a graham cracker crust (click here). You can also take the easy route (which we do often) and just get a store-bought crust.
- 1 9 " prepared pie crust baked and cooled-- see above for recipes
- 1 c. sugar
- 3 1/2 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 c. milk
- 1/2 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice appx 3 lemons
- 3 egg yolks lightly beaten in separate, small bowl
- 1/4 c. butter softened
- Zest of 2 lemons 1 Tbsp.
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- In a large saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in milk and lemon juice until well combined. Over medium heat, cook, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes thick and bubbly.
- Reduce heat and cook for appx. 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add a spoonful of the hot lemon mixture to the eggs and stir well. Repeat several times until the egg mixture becomes thick and creamy like the lemon mixture (you don't want the eggs to get cooked when added to the hot mixture). Pour egg mixture into the saucepan, stirring well to combine. Bring mixture back to a simmer and cook a couple more minutes. Stir well and remove from heat.
- Add butter and lemon zest and stir until butter is melted. Allow mixture to cool and gently stir in sour cream. Add sour cream/lemon mixture to the pie shell and cool in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before serving.
- In a mixing bowl combine whipping cream and 4 Tbsp. sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form (or desired consistency). Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve-- top individual pie slices with whipped cream before serving.