Brazilian Rice and Beans with Sausage is a simple to make recipe that is bursting with savory flavor! A one dish meal ready in less than 30 minutes!
Brazilian Beans and Rice with Sausage
Brazilian Beans and Rice with Sausage is a meal I need to put back in regular rotation. It’s so easy to put together and yet it packs a powerful flavor punch. Everyone in my family gobbles it up. This is the perfect meal to whip up on a busy weeknight, since you throw it all in one pan, and it’s done in half an hour! I was inspired to make this dish a couple weeks ago when I wanted to make something fun for the World Cup. My husband visited Brazil several years ago and mentioned that he loved the sausage there, as well as the beans and rice, so I ran with that suggestion. It was a hit. We ate it in bowls in front of the TV but you could easily serve it alongside a simple green or fruit salad and our delicious Brazilian Cheese Bread. A perfect meal when you’re in a recipe rut.
Suggestions for Brazilian Rice and Beans with Sausage
- I used canned pinto beans for this recipe because that’s what I had on hand. But you could easily swap those for kidney beans, black beans, chickpeas or navy beans in this dish.
- True Brazilian rice and beans is a little more involved than this recipe, but I wanted something easy and quick. You can use dried beans by soaking them overnight, then cooking with some peppers, garlic and onions in a slow cooker for 5-6 hours. Then add to the recipe and continue as directed below.
- Brazilian Rice and Beans can be made easily in the Instant Pot too! Use the saute setting for the sausage, onions, garlic and peppers, then add the broth, seasonings and rice and cook on high for a few minutes. Do a quick release and you’re done!
- This recipe makes a ton of food! It can easily serve 6-8 people, or 4-5 really hungry folks.
- We used a spicy chicken sausage in this recipe and it was wonderful! You can use any type of sausage you like. Andouille pork, mild turkey, or all beef sausage would all taste delicious!
More Savory Sausage Recipes
We love cooking with sausage and have gathered a few of our very favorite recipes to share with you. Try some and find out which ones you love:
- Creamy One Pot Tortellini with Sausage
- Skillet Sausage and Rice
- Creamy Italian Sausage Chili
- Jambalaya with Chicken Sausage and Shrimp
- Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
How to Make Brazilian Rice and Beans with Sausage
Brazilian Rice and Beans with Sausage
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add sausage, green onion, and garlic and saute until onions become soft.
- Stir in rice, chicken broth, beans, salt and pepper, and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is done.
- Remove from heat and fluff rice with a fork.