This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Sausage Pasta Bake comes together in 30 minutes and is a cheesy, meaty, hearty meal that the whole family will love. Perfect for busy weeknights.
Featured with this recipe
You have to try this sausage pasta bake! It is a quick and easy meal that your family will love. With just five simple ingredients, you can have this bubbling in the oven in no time! It’s really easy to make and can be frozen ahead of time, so it’s the perfect quick meal for those busy evenings. This is a family favorite recipe that is in constant rotation at our house!
With only five ingredients, you can’t go wrong with this family dinner. Make a complete meal with this savory and hearty dish served with a side salad, breadsticks, and any vegetable or fruit dish. It is easy to make and only takes 30 minutes. It is a favorite dish that is loved by everyone!
Sausage Pasta Bake Ingredients
You will love how easily these five ingredients come together to make such a hearty and delicious dinner! Italian sausage pasta bake is always the dinner that I go to on those busy nights. Grab your baking dish and let’s get started on a favorite family dinner!
- Sausage – Roll the sausage into small round balls and add to a large skillet to be cooked. You can use olive oil if needed.
- Pasta – We used bow-tie pasta. If you want to be more adventurous, try penne pasta, rigatoni pasta, or rotini pasta.
- Spaghetti sauce – Either use homemade tomato sauce or canned spaghetti sauce. Both are delicious and will work well for the sausage bake.
- Alfredo sauce – This may sound strange to have both red and white sauces together, but this blend is very good and couldn’t obtain the right flavors without the other one.
- Mozzarella cheese – Buy pre-shredded mozzarella cheese or buy a brick and have freshly shredded cheese.
Variations to this Pasta Bake Recipe
This sausage pasta bake is easy to make variations and substitutions that are best for your family’s needs. Switch out the sauce, make it with beef, or add extra cheese. All these things are possible with this simple-to-make pasta recipe.
- If you have a little extra time, you can make this recipe with our Homemade Alfredo Sauce or our Healthy Alfredo Sauce and our Homemade Canned Spaghetti Sauce. These recipes are easy to make and taste extra delicious in this dish.
- To make it a little faster to throw together, feel free to use your favorite canned spaghetti sauce and canned Alfredo sauce.
- Make it healthier by using whole wheat pasta, turkey sausage, chicken, and lighter versions of spaghetti and Alfredo sauce.
- You can use different varieties of pasta depending on what you have in the pantry or what your family likes best. I’ve made it with rotini pasta, penne pasta, and bow-tie pasta. They all work great!
- Add in some seasonings like oregano, thyme, basil, or red pepper flakes for extra heat.
- If you are a garlic and onion lover, you will love mincing these up and adding them to the sausage.
- Top off the Italian pasta bake with parmesan cheese when serving.
“My kids love smoked sausage, so this was a hit! Next time I’ll make a double batch and freeze one of the pans.”-Kara
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are trying to avoid using Alfredo altogether, you can use 6 ½ cups of spaghetti sauce in this recipe. If you are looking to use a less fat/calorie version of the Alfredo sauce, you can substitute the recipe for this low-fat Alfredo sauce.
Yes! For this pasta bake, it is best to precook the pasta according to the package. Boil the noodles over medium-high heat in a large pot of salted water (you do not have to add salt). Stir until the noodles are a little undercooked, then remove them from the boiling water. Drain and set aside until ready to add to the baking dish. Since the pasta is not fully cooked, it will finish cooking in the oven with the other ingredients.
This can happen if there is not enough liquid in the baking pan. Pasta will absorb liquid from the sauce it is baking in. If there is more pasta compared to the sauce, then your sausage bake will be dry.
Before reheating your Italian sausage bake, place a little bit of sauce or water on the plate or bowl. Then, microwave it and the water or sauce will absorb and keep it moist while reheating. This trick will also help keep it from separating.
Freeze it for Later
Make this pasta sausage bake ahead of time and freeze to use later! Just prep the casserole according to the recipe card below, but don’t bake it. Cover with aluminum foil and freeze for up to two months.
To reheat, simply pop it in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until it’s heated all the way through and the cheese is bubbly. Serve it with a green salad and some crusty bread for a really easy weeknight dinner!
More Simple Pasta Recipes
Pasta dinners are so easy to prepare and are always hearty and filling, aka the perfect weeknight meal! Try some of these delicious recipes the next time you need a quick dinner idea.
How to make Sausage Pasta Bake
Sausage Pasta Bake
- 9×13 inch pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Heat the sliced sausage in a medium-sized saucepan until lightly browned on both sides.
- Spread ½ cup of spaghetti sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 pan.
- Layer half of the pasta, half of the sausage, 1 ½ cups of spaghetti sauce, 1 ½ cups of Alfredo sauce, and 1 ½ cups of cheese. Repeat with everything except the cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, top with remaining 1 ½ cups of cheese, and bake for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with steamed broccoli or a fresh green salad for a festive meal!
How to Freeze Sausage Pasta BakeThis pasta sausage bake can be made ahead of time and frozen to use for later! Just prep the casserole according to the recipe card below, but don’t bake it. Cover with aluminum foil and freeze for up to two months.