This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Breakfast sandwiches can come in many varieties. From meaty & cheesy, to light & low calorie, here are some of our favorite breakfast sandwich ideas (with recipes).
Featured With This Post
- Make It Perfectly Yours
- The Ultimate Meat-Lovers Breakfast Sandwich
- Avocado Toast (3 Ways)
- Croque Madame Sandwich
- Breakfast Hand Pies
- Breakfast Monte Cristos
- Light Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- Ham, Egg, and Cheese Croissants
- What To Serve With Breakfast Sandwiches
- Frequently Asked Questions About Breakfast Sandwiches
- How to Make a Breakfast Sandwich
- The Ultimate Meat Lovers Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
Round out your breakfast with a refreshing smoothie like our tasty Green Smoothie or our fruity Banana Berry Smoothie. Find more morning-mealtime inspiration with our popular 25+ Easy Breakfast Ideas.
Breakfast sandwiches are the perfect, quick solution for busy mornings. They require very little prep work and can be cooked up in a matter of minutes. You have a lot of wiggle-room with sandwiches to make them any way you want. You can make them meaty and cheesy like the sandwich above, or you can keep it light with just a few simple ingredients like avocado and tomato.
Make It Perfectly Yours
The “perfect breakfast sandwich” is subjective. There is no one “perfect” way to make one, the combination possibilities are truly endless. You can use any combination of bread, meat, vegetables, or cheese to make a sandwich that is perfect for you. Create your own recipe or try one of our breakfast sandwich recipes below! Here are some popular choices for each component of a breakfast sandwich:
- Toasted bread
- English muffin
- Turkey sausage
- Turkey bacon
- Avocado (or guacamole)
- Roasted red pepper
- Sautéed onion
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Cream cheese
What’s a breakfast sandwich without an egg? Top your sandwich with soft scrambled eggs, a poached egg, or even sliced hard boiled egg. Don’t forget to check out our tutorial on how to fry an egg with tips and tricks on getting them perfect every time.
The Ultimate Meat-Lovers Breakfast Sandwich
This sandwich (recipe below) is a meat-lovers dream. It is my husband’s favorite breakfast sandwich and it is BIG (he calls it the “lumberjack”). The two of us can easily split one sandwich and be totally full. We can have this for breakfast and we won’t be hungry again until dinner. It is packed with protein and full of flavor.
Avocado Toast (3 Ways)
This open-faced style sandwich makes for a delicious, high protein, healthy morning meal. It is a savory breakfast that will keep your energy up until lunch! This recipe can be made in mere minutes and includes three different ways to enjoy it.
Croque Madame Sandwich
A Croque Madame is a rich, filling, decadent sandwich made with ham, gruyère cheese, and a béchamel sauce topped with a fried egg. It makes a great addition to any breakfast or brunch menu! Serve it alongside fresh fruit, orange juice, and pastries for an unforgettable and delectable breakfast.
Breakfast Hand Pies
Savory Breakfast Hand Pies offer a fun twist on your typical breakfast sandwich. Eggs, green chiles, tomato, ham, and cheese get wrapped up in buttery, flaky puff pastry and then baked to perfection. You will love the layers of flavor in this recipe!
Breakfast Monte Cristos
This Breakfast Monte Cristo Sandwich is a delicious twist on a classic! Fried egg, ham, and Swiss cheese are nestled between two thick slices of French toast and cooked to perfection. I love to serve these delicious breakfast sandwiches dusted with powdered sugar and topped with sweet raspberry jam.
Light Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
These Light Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches are perfect for mornings on the go. You can make 24 at once, freeze them, and pull them out one at a time to heat. You can heat them in the microwave or in a toaster oven. These are much less expensive, and taste way better than the light ones from the freezer section at the grocery store. Only 268 calories per sandwich!
READ NEXT: 33+ Breakfast Ideas
Ham, Egg, and Cheese Croissants
These Croissant Breakfast Sandwiches are delicious as they are filling. Flaky, crispy croissants are piled with fluffy egg, gooey cheese and savory ham. These sandwiches were inspired by one of our favorite restaurants in Utah and Idaho called Kneaders and they have become one of our very favorite sandwiches. Use small croissants to make little croissant breakfast sliders (great for brunches).
Read Next: 33+ Easy Breakfast Ideas
What To Serve With Breakfast Sandwiches
Breakfast sandwiches can be served on their own as an entire meal, or you can pair them up with a side dish. Here are some breakfast side dish ideas to serve with breakfast sandwiches:
Frequently Asked Questions About Breakfast Sandwiches
My favorite creative breakfast sandwich idea is the Monte Cristo Breakfast Sandwich. Add a fried egg, ham, and Swiss cheese to two thick slices of French toast and cook until golden brown. Top with a dusting of powdered sugar and serve with a side of fresh berry jam or maple syrup.
The quickest egg sandwich is simply a buttered toast with a fried egg or scrambled egg over the top. If you are willing to add another 30 seconds you can spread some fresh avocado over the toast before adding the egg.
These light freezer breakfast sandwiches are meant to be frozen and re-heated in the microwave when needed. Not all breakfast sandwiches are meant to be frozen but this one freezes and re-heats well!
How to Make a Breakfast Sandwich
The Ultimate Meat Lovers Breakfast Sandwich
- Lay out all ingredients. Heat a large skillet or griddle to 375-degrees. Toast the bread and set aside (no butter necessary, only if desired).
- Spray griddle with cooking spray. Cook the sausage, bacon, and ham on the griddle until cooked through. Set aside.
- Spray griddle with cooking spray again. Cook each egg separately on the griddle to your liking (in the picture here we lightly beat each egg before cooking, in the pictures above, we cooked each one over-easy). Season with salt and pepper.
- Layer one slice of toast, sausage, egg, and one slice of cheese.
- Add second slice of toast, then add egg, ham, cheese, and bacon. Top with last slice of toast.
- Hold sandwich together firmly with one hand and slice sandwich in half, diagonally to make 2 servings. Serve immediately.
- You can also put this sandwich together and grill like a grilled cheese sandwich. Butter the pan first and place the sandwich over top of the butter. Grill over medium-low heat until golden brown.
- Want to add a little more flavor? Try adding hot sauce, bacon jam, or ketchup to your breakfast sandwich.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.