This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Thinking of some fun St. Patrick’s Day food ideas this year? Look no further! From authentic Irish dishes to green kid-friendly St Patrick’s Day treats, we have it all! Don’t miss our bonus recipe for Green Pancakes below!
Here is a list of some of our favorite Irish foods that will make for a day full of good luck from breakfast to dinner. You will also find tasty side dish, dessert, drink recipes and more to liven up your celebrations.
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a feast of traditional Irish food and green food, drink, and dessert ideas. Discover all our favorite St. Patrick’s Day recipes with the links below.
St Patrick’s Day Dinner Ideas
Wondering what to make for your St. Patrick’s Day dinner? You can go crazy and dye everything green (because that’s totally what they do in Ireland.. not really). Or you can try something a little more authentic like these recipes below.
- Irish Pasties – An authentic Irish favorite in our family. Beef and potatoes in a flaky crust topped with gravy.
- Corned Beef and Cabbage – A classic dish from Ireland with flavored beef and veggies.
- Irish Beef Stew – An Irish stew of beef, potatoes, and carrots in a rich beef base made in the slow cooker. A Guinness free version.
- Potato Leek Soup – A creamy soup loaded with potatoes, leeks, and fennel. Source: onceuponachef.com
- Easy Shepherd’s Pie – Meat and veggies and topped with mashed potatoes and cheese.
- Corned Beef Sandwiches – A tasty Irish sandwich, especially with our homemade Russian dressing!
- Sunday Pot Roast – Tender beef roasted to perfection with potatoes and carrots.
- Beef Pot Pie – This yummy beef and veggie pot pie cooks up fast in the instant pot.
St Patrick’s Day Side Dishes
Ok so you have decided what St Patrick’s Day food you want to make for your main course. But what about an Irish-inspired side dish? We have several easy side dishes that will go great with your favorite St Patrick’s Day dinner!
- Scalloped Potatoes (aka potatoes au gratin or dauphinoise potatoes) – Potato slices in a rich creamy sauce.
- Irish Soda Bread – Butter up this easy bread from Ireland that requires no yeast or waiting to rise.
- Colcannon – Creamy mashed potatoes mixed with cooked kale. Source: simplyrecipes.com
- Chopped Cabbage Salad – Chopped cabbage in a tangy dressing topped with crunchy noodles.
- Fried Cabbage – seasoned fried cabbage and onions cooked with crispy bacon. Source: cafedelites.com
- Roasted Green Beans – A vibrant green side that is roasted to perfection in the oven.
- Frozen Peas (made the RIGHT way) – You’ll love our method for making frozen peas taste amazing.
- Sautéed Sweet Asparagus – Our favorite way to cook asparagus, sweet and buttery.
- Roasted Potatoes with Brussels Sprouts – Tender potatoes, crisp Brussels sprouts and savory bacon in every bite.
- Rainbow Fruit Display with Fruit Dip – These colorful fruits taste amazing with a cream cheese fruit dip.
- Homemade Dinner Rolls – The prefect soft buttery side to any meal.
- ALL of our potato side dish recipes HERE because any potato dish makes a great side!
St Patrick’s Day Desserts and Drinks
I have to admit, sometimes our St Patrick’s Day food consists of green Jell-O for dessert. Though there is nothing wrong with that, these St Patrick’s Day desserts are MUCH better! They may take a little more time than Jell-O but it’s totally worth it! We are also including our favorite non-alcoholic St. Patrick’s Day drinks. I know, I know “Non-Alcoholic St Patrick’s Day Drink” sounds like an oxymoron. But since we don’t drink beer or other alcoholic beverages, we have to improvise sometimes.
- Shamrock Shakes – This McDonalds copycat is even better than the fast food version.
- Mint Juleps – A yummy green drink that is a favorite from New Orleans.
- Irish Cream Soda – A creamy refreshing soda made with real fruit. Source: dailydishrecipes.com
- Mini Grasshopper Cheesecakes – Cute little green mini cheesecakes with Oreo cookies mint flavor.
- Mint Chocolate Fudge Swirl – This mint and chocolate swirled fudge is a tasty green treat.
- Bailey’s Irish Cream Brownies – Chocolate fudge brownies with Irish cream frosting. Source: spendwithpennies.com
- Bread Pudding – This apple bread pudding with caramel sauce is sure to be a favorite.
- Irish Apple Cake – A light apple flavored cake topped with a custard sauce. Source: theviewfromgreatisland.com
- Green Velvet Cake – A rich a green colored cake with cream cheese frosting. Source: itsybitsykitchen.com
St. Patrick’s Day Breakfast Ideas
Irish recipes for St Patrick’s Day breakfast can be a nice change of pace from your normal morning meal. While these aren’t all traditional Irish breakfasts, they are green and a fun way to kick off the holiday. Serve up some green pancakes with green eggs and ham on the side for a breakfast the whole family will love.
- Green Smoothie – A naturally green drink loaded with healthy fruits and veggies.
- Avocado Toast – This healthy toast will keep you full until lunch. Of course, you can add an egg for an extra protein kick.
- Breakfast Casserole – This overnight hash brown casserole is great for feeding a big group.
- Corned Beef Hash – Corned beef, diced potatoes, and eggs make up this tasty savory breakfast. Source: dinnerthendessert.com
- Green Eggs and Ham – this fun breakfast based off the popular book is green and free of dye. Source: eatingrichly.com
- Rainbow Waffles – a magically delicious way to start off a happy day. Source: mommysfabulousfinds.com
- Green Pancakes – a fun and colorful breakfast better than a pot of gold that kids will love. See recipe below!
Green Pancakes for St. Patrick’s Day
- Griddle or skillet
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla and 3 to 4 drops of green food coloring – more or less to your taste.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Heat a griddle to medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Pour ¼ cup of pancake mixture onto the griddle.
- Once the sides start to dry and the top is bubbling, flip the pancake using a large spatula.
- Cook until both sides of the pancake are golden brown and the middle is cooked through (you can check by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the pancake – if it comes out dry it is done).
- Remove from heat and serve with whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles on top.