This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Our Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli Soup copycat recipe tastes just like the original. This hearty, Italian-seasoned soup is easily made in a slow cooker.
Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli Recipe
This Pasta e Fagioli Soup is one of our family’s most favorite cold weather meals. It reminds me of fall leaves, football season, sweaters and cozy fires. It’s my top choice at Olive Garden every time we go there to eat, so I decided to find a way to make it at home. This copycat recipe tastes exactly like the popular restaurant dish!
Ground beef is a staple for many easy, budget-friendly meals. For more easy dinner ideas prepared with ground beef, check out our post on Easy Ground Beef Recipes
What is Pasta e Fagioli Soup?
This Italian soup literally means “pasta and beans” so that’s what you’ll find in this dish, along with ground beef, Italian seasonings in a rich tomato based broth. Pasta E Fagioli is very similar to another hearty favorite, minestrone. The difference between these two soups is minestrone uses several different veggies and Pasta e Fagioli features onion, celery and carrots for flavor, but no other vegetables.
- Ground Beef – For this recipe I like to use lean ground beef (93%/7%). If the beef is too fatty, then it makes the soup very oily.
- Onion, Carrots, and Celery – This combination of savory vegetables is often called a mirepoix. Together, they create a base of flavor for the soup.
- Diced Tomatoes – Tomatoes help to make up the base of the soup broth. Make sure you don’t drain the tomatoes. Add the tomatoes and the juices to the crock pot.
- Red and White Kidney Beans – It wouldn’t be Pasta e Fagioli without the fagioli! As you might have guessed, fagioli means beans. I like to use dark red kidney beans and also white kidney beans, or cannellini beans.
- Beef Stock – You can use beef stock, beef broth, or even chicken broth in a pinch.
- Spices – The spice mix for this recipe includes oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper. If you want to expand on the flavor profile, then consider adding garlic powder, basil, thyme, or a few bay leaves.
- Tabasco Sauce – Tabasco sauce adds a little bit of spice and also a depth of flavor to this soup.
- Prego Sauce – Prego Traditional tomato sauce is our favorite for this recipe.
- Ditalini Pasta – Ditalini pasta is the pasta that Olive Garden uses, but you can use other shapes like small shells, wagon wheels, or elbow noodles. Cook the pasta to just barely al dente, as it will soften in the soup.
- Optional Toppings – This soup is perfect as is, but I like to top my bowl with grated parmesan cheese, parsley flakes, and red pepper flakes.
Tips for Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- This recipe makes a LOT of soup (approximately 20, 1 cup servings) so it’s a terrific recipe for feeding a crowd or if you like leftovers for lunches. It’ll stay fresh in the refrigerator for about a week.
- This soup also freezes well, so store in freezer safe containers or Ziploc bags in the freezer for up to two months.
- Make sure to use a large crock pot, or feel free to cut the recipe in half.
- Pasta e Fagioli is delicious served with some crusty bread, our delicious Italian Cheesy Bread recipe, or one of my favorites, cornbread. Our Cake Mix Cornbread is goes perfectly with this soup.
Absolutely! You will need a very large pot, or you will need to half the recipe. Brown and drain the beef, and add it, along with all other ingredients besides the pasta, to a large pot. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then turn heat to low bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender. Cook pasta according to package directions and add to soup before serving.
They are the same! Pasta Fazool is a nickname for pasta e fagioli that comes from New York Italians.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to three months.
More Slow Cooker Soups to Try
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup: Chicken and Rice Soup warms you up on cold fall and winter days. It is also ideal for busy days. The ingredients go into the Slow Cooker in the morning and a nice, hot meal awaits in the evening.
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup: There are so many different vegetables in this Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup. It is very healthy and hearty.
- Slow Cooker Cheese Tortellini Soup: This Cheese Tortellini Soup is a flavorful, easy slow cooker meal. Tortellini, sausage, and spinach in a creamy tomato soup and slow cooked to perfection.
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup: This is one of the easiest soups you will ever make. Full of flavorful meat and veggies, everyone loves it!
- Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana Soup: Many agree that this Zuppa Toscana Soup Olive Garden Copycat is actually better than the original, loaded with sausage and potatoes.
How to make Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli Soup Copycat
Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- Crockpot Slow Cooker
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 carrots shredded
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes undrained
- 16 ounces red kidney beans drained
- 16 ounces white kidney beans drained
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 5 teaspoons parsley
- 1 teaspoons tabasco sauce
- 20 ounces Prego traditional spaghetti sauce
- 8 ounces Ditalini pasta
- Brown ground beef in large skillet. Drain fat.
- Add beef and all ingredients except the pasta into a large crock pot. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Before serving, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to soup.
- Serve in bowls topped with parmesan cheese and parsley if desired. Also, we love to serve this soup with crusty bread, breadsticks, or cornbread.