Crock Pot Lil Smokies are a unique cocktail snack perfect great for game days and parties. Only 3 simple ingredients – lil smokies, BBQ sauce, and our secret ingredient!
The first step to having a great party is having great food! Whether you are getting together for the Super Bowl, New Years Eve, or just a family game night, we have all your favorite appetizers and finger foods. From Chili Cheese Dip, to Amazing Wings, to Fruit Dip – we have something for everyone!
Crock Pot Lil Smokies
When it comes to family gatherings — be it New Year’s Eve potlucks or a Super Bowl bash — this little smokies recipe just seem like the perfect fit. After all, they are simple, delicious and small enough to enjoy as an appetizer or a side dish. They are so easy to make, you just throw everything in the slow cooker and let the flavors sink in. At first glance, they may seem similar to the lil’ smokies you’ve had, but don’t skip our secret ingredient – the grape jelly! It adds a sweetness that compliments the smokey flavor of the BBQ sauce so well. One reader suggested trying chili sauce instead of barbecue sauce. This is one of those great recipes with a little room to wiggle and try some new things.
What are Lil Smokies?
Lil Smokies are a fun, sweet and savory appetizer. If you haven’t seen these little beauties sitting on the buffet line at a family or friend get together, allow us to enlighten you. Also known as cocktail sausages or cocktail weenies, lil smokies are basically mini hot dogs. Generally made with pork, turkey or beef and found in the refrigerated meat section of most grocery stores. Because they are fully cooked, you can eat them cold, but most of the time you see them simmering in a sauce — like this yummy one below. I have also seen them wrapped in pastry dough to make tiny pigs in a blanket.
Ingredients in Crock Pot Lil Smokies
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3. The ingredients to this appetizer are as follows:
- Lil Smokies (aka Lit’l Smokies and Little Smokies). Hillshire Farms is our recommended brand. They also make an all beef Lit’l Smokies. They can be found
- Barbecue Sauce. Sweet Baby Ray’s and Bullseye are two of our favorite barbecue sauce brands. Feel free to experiment with different flavors or add a little hot sauce.
- Grape Jelly. This is our secret ingredient! Any brand will do. The jelly adds sweetness and flavor as well as thickening to the sauce.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Allow lil smokies to cool and then place them in an airtight container. Keep them in the fridge for up to a week. Reheating is easy! Place them in a microwave safe container and reheat in the microwave or reheat them on the stovetop over medium heat.
More Game Day or Game Night Snacks
In addition to this Crock Pot Lil Smokies recipe, we have more snack recipes that will satisfy all your cravings!
- We love the slow cooker version of lil smokies, but if you’re looking to up the ante a bit, check out our recipe for Bacon Wrapped Lil Smokies. Because seriously. What doesn’t taste even better with bacon?
- One recipe we love is Ham Roll Ups with Pickle. They are literally the easiest appetizer you will ever make. Perfect for after school snacks, appetizers, or finger-food for parties.
- Our Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers are perfect for the Super Bowl. They are so scrumptious, everyone is a winner!
- You should definitely try our Best Chex Mix the next time you break out the Scrabble board (or any game, of course). It’s toasty, savory, and (warning!) a little addicting.
- Another favorite is our Sweet and Spicy Slow Cooker Meatballs. Think savory meatballs in a sweet savory sauce. Just a little kick.
- If you need to satisfy a sweet tooth, either for an appetizer or dessert, check out the Almond Joy Chex Mix. It combines two favorite treats: Almond Joy Candy Bars and Muddy Buddy Chex Mix.
- Or how about some No Bake Avalanche Bark with peanut butter, crispy rice cereal, marshmallows, and white and chocolate chips…mmmm.
How to Make Crock Pot Lil Smokies
Crock Pot Lil Smokies
- Crock Pot Slow Cooker
- 3 packages "Lil' Smokies"
- 1 bottle "Sweet Baby Rays" BBQ sauce
- 3 tablespoons grape jelly (heaping spoonfuls)
- Combine all ingredients in a large crock pot.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for at least 6 hours.
- Remove lid from crock pot and stir well before serving.