This cowboy caviar is such a tasty and easy chip dip. It has guacamole feel, but I like it better. It is also great used as a salsa on tacos or other Mexican dishes.
There are few things that hit the snacking spot like a big pile of chips and something yummy to dip the chips in. Of course, chips on their own are great too. But whether it is salsa, bean dip, warm cheese, it makes those crisp, corn chips even more delicious.
That’s where this Cowboy Caviar comes in. It’s so simple! And, not to get all mathematical, but the flavors of the black beans, sweet corn, tomatoes, avacado, cilantro and lime all meld together to create a whole even greater than the sum of its parts.
Additions and Substitutions
This recipe is great all on its own. But it’s always so great to see how readers have adapted or enhanced recipes to fit their family’s tastes. In the case of Cowboy Caviar, there are several things you can try. Roasting fresh corn before adding it gives a new flavor to this dish. Some people like to add diced red onions to the mix. A little cumin can add a unique flavor, or how about some black-eyed peas and orange bell pepper?
This is the kind of dip that is best served fresh. If you do make it in advance, don’t give it more than a few hours to sit. Otherwise you risk the avacados turning a little brown.
Pass the Dip Please
While we are on the subject of dips, there are so many kinds to try. Check out some of these other popular recipes.
- Spinach Artichoke Dip served right in a bread bowl is a delicious combination of fresh spinach and three kinds of cheese.
- Easy Spinach Dip is delightfully creamy and a breeze to whip up for your next gathering.
- 5-Minute Dill Pickle Dip is great with potato chips, pretzels or buttery crackers.
- Try this Easy Cream Cheese Fruit Dip if you’re looking for a way to doll up a fruit platter.
- Skotidakis Jalapeno Greek Yogurt Dip is a favorite with its creamy and tangy with a little bit of spice.
- Warm Bacon Cheese Dip in Sourdough is a favorite appetizer at parties, baked right in the sourdough bowl.
- Cheater Restaurant Style Refried Beans are a great side dish, but they can also be the perfect chip dip.
More Mexican Fare
This Cowboy Caviar can be used in a bunch of different ways. But if you’re cooking up some great Mexican dishes, like our Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Beef, or the tasty Mexican Lasagna, consider adding Cowboy Caviar and chips on the side.
How To Make Cowboy Caviar
guacamole feel, but I like it better. It is also great used as a salsa
on tacos or other Mexican dishes.
- Toss everything together in a large bowl, do not over-mix. Serve with tortilla chips.