Corn casserole is a favorite Thanksgiving side dish. It has a sweet, golden, bready layer and a delicious, creamy corn center. Just how it should be!
Southern Corn Casserole
This corn casserole is a true Southern recipe. It was given to me by my good friend, Alyssa. Her grandmother made this recipe for their family when they were growing up and it has been a family favorite ever since. I am so glad she shared this recipe with us and it has quickly become one of my family’s favorite corn dishes.
Corn Casserole with Crackers
In this recipe, we add soda (or saltine) crackers. Some recipes call for cornbread mix but we have found that we like this version better. This version tastes less like cornbread and more like actual corn casserole.
Corn Casserole vs Corn Pudding
You may be wondering, what is the difference between corn casserole and corn pudding? In a couple words: not much. Some may argue that corn casserole must be cornbread based but as long as it has a bready texture, it qualifies. Same with corn pudding. Corn pudding may be slightly less done than corn casserole, making it more “pudding-like” in texture, but it uses the same ingredients. This will vary from family to family and region to region. It really depends on where your recipe is from but honestly, the biggest difference between the two is simply the name.
This recipe is delicious as-is, but if you are wanting to put a spin on it, try adding some (or all) of these ingredients:
- crumbled bacon (also use some of the bacon grease instead of the melted butter, YUM)
- chopped jalapeño (the kind in the can, the texture is better than using fresh)
- diced green chiles
- shredded cheddar cheese
More Tasty Corn Side Dishes:
Who doesn’t love sweet, crunchy corn as a side dish? It goes well with just about anything! Here are some of our favorite ways to prepare corn for dinner:
- How to Make Frozen Corn (the RIGHT way… yes, there is a RIGHT way and a WRONG way to make frozen corn)
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- Mexican Street Corn Cups
- Perfect Corn on the Cob
- Sweet Corn Cakes (Tamalitos)
How to Make Corn Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mix well.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 glass baking dish.
- Bake for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until cooked through and golden brown on top.
- Tip: If you like it more bready, bake longer. It will become more like a cornbread. If you like it more like a corn pudding, bake for less time.
- 9x13 inch pan