This Best Meatloaf Recipe will change the way you think about meatloaf! Rich, moist and loaded with chopped vegetables, this hearty recipe is sure to become a family favorite!
Best Meatloaf Recipe
This meatloaf recipe is truly the best I have ever tasted! I’m not even a huge fan of meatloaf, but this is absolutely delicious. It’s inspired by the famous Claim Jumper Meatloaf recipe. The restaurant boasts huge portions of classic recipes, and this meatloaf is one of their signature dishes. The last time we went out for dinner there, my husband got the meatloaf. I can’t even remember what I got, because all I can remember is the bite or two of my husband’s meatloaf. I kept wishing I had ordered it too! the flavor was so perfect that I knew I needed to go home and figure out how to replicate it. This recipe is pretty darn close, with rich sauce, chopped veggies and lots of smoky flavor. My entire family loves this meal and asks for it all the time.
Suggestions for Making the Best Meatloaf
- Start with good quality beef and pork. Try to steer clear super low fat varieties for this recipe, because this can make the meatloaf dry and crumbly. A little extra fat in the meat can help the meatloaf maintain its shape and give it more moisture and flavor.
- Try to keep the mixing to a minimum. The more you mix the ingredients with the meat, the tougher the meat can get! I recommend using your hands to combine all the ingredients together, then molding into a loaf.
- Line your pan with parchment paper or use a cooking spray to make it easier to get the meatloaf out.
- Make sure your veggies are diced nice and small, so they sautee evenly.
- If the mixture seems too dry, add a little bit more milk until you’re able to easily form the meat into a loaf.
- Keep the ketchup! We have had readers omit the ketchup from this recipe but it has turned out dry. Ketchup is sweet and when baked it can turn into a gorgeous glaze.
- Let the meatloaf rest for about five to seven minutes before slicing, to allow all the juices to redistribute after cooking.
What to Serve with Meatloaf
This meatloaf recipe tastes perfect with just a baked potato and a simple green salad, or with any of these delicious recipes:
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Sauteed Sweet Asparagus.
- Parmesan Potato Halves
- Roasted Vegetable Medley
- Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Creamed Peas and Potatoes
How to Make the Best Meatloaf Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute onion, garlic, red pepper and carrot in oil over medium heat until they become soft. In a medium-sized bowl combine eggs with milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. In a separate, large bowl, mix breadcrumbs and flour into the beef and pork with your hands.
- Add egg and milk mixture, sauteed veggies, ketchup and mix it up with your hands. Press the mixture into a meatloaf pan or a large loaf pan. Bake for 30 minutes, then spread additional ketchup over the top of the loaf to taste, then bake for another hour.
- Let it sit for a few minutes, then slice and serve!
- Loaf pan