Southwestern Chicken Casserole
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 c. mild or medium red enchilada sauce
- 1 (7oz.) can diced green chiles
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 c. rice, uncooked (calrose rice works great if you want to have layers that are more intact-- you can pat the layers down and it stays together better-- but long grain white rice works great too)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro and
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 1/2 c. mild or medium salsa
- 1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 c. pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- optional garnish: green onion, tomatoes, sour cream, crushed corn chips, or anything else you like!
- In crock pot combine chicken breasts, enchilada sauce, green chiles, cumin and pepper. Cook on high for 4 hours. Take chicken breasts out of sauce and shred.
- Prepare rice according to package directions with cilantro and lime juice. In bowl, combine soups, sour cream and salsa.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom of 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 c. of soup mixture in bottom of pan
- Layer in the following order: 1/2 of the rice (press down firmly in pan), 1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese, 1/2 of shredded chicken mixture, 1/2 can corn, 1/2 can black beans, 1/2 of soup mixture, remaining rice (press down firmly in pan), remaining shredded chicken, remaining corn, remaining black beans, remaining soup mixture.
- Top with 1 1/2 c. pepper jack cheese. Bake for 35-40 minutes until heated through. Garnish as desired.
Copyright Favorite Family Recipes 2012