Chicken Cacciatore sounds fancy and complicated but it is actually really easy to make and SO delicious! You are going to love this Italian pasta recipe!
I love saying “Chicken Cacciatore”… it sounds so fancy! Cacciatore actually means “hunter” in Italian. In cuisine, alla cacciatora refers to a meal prepared “hunter-style” with tomatoes, onions, herbs, often bell pepper, and sometimes wine (thank you Wikipedia).
So basically, it’s an Italian dish with nothing really all that fancy at all– but it still tastes incredible!
Simple Chicken Cacciatore Sauce
This is a super simple version of Chicken Cacciatore where you just use your favorite canned spaghetti sauce or marinara and add some peppers and onions.
If you want to get fancy and use your own homemade marinara or spaghetti sauce, be my guest! I actually used my homemade canned spaghetti sauce in this recipe (click here) and OH. MY. It was delicious!
What to Serve This With
In the picture, it almost looks like it could be chicken Parmesan because I added a little mozzarella cheese to top it off (which is probably not traditional) but I couldn’t help myself!
Some people serve Chicken Cacciatore with egg noodles, but when I was preparing this recipe I was in the mood for fettuccine noodles, so I used those instead.
Of course, you don’t even need to serve this over pasta, you can serve it alongside some steamed veggies or roasted potatoes and it will still be great!
Oh, and one more thing– chicken thighs are wonderful in this recipe because they are SO tender and delicious but chicken breasts will work fine too. Just do everything the same– maybe just cut each chicken breast in half so it doesn’t take as long to cook through. Enjoy!
More Delicious Italian Recipes
- Italian Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
- Baked Rotini with Italian Sausage
- Authentic Italian Spaghetti
- Creamy Italian Sausage Chili
- Italian Beef Sandwich
- Easy Cheesy Manicotti
- Quick and Easy Calzones
How to Make Chicken Cacciatore
- Sprinkle each chicken thigh with salt and pepper then dredge in flour.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until chicken is golden-brown (it doesn't need to be completely cooked through).
- Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute peppers, onion, and garlic until onions become soft and transparent.
- Reduce heat and slowly add marinara/spaghetti sauce to the skillet.
- Add chicken back to the skillet and bring sauce to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Simmer for about 25 minutes or until chicken thighs are cooked through.
- Before serving, top with mozzarella (optional) and fresh basil.
- Can be served with pasta, steamed vegetables, or roasted potatoes.