This Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe uses a skillet to cook the chicken, not the oven. The chicken stays tender and juicy, never dry.
This Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe is SO GOOD! I love the combination of ham and Swiss cheese all wrapped up in the juicy chicken. They are so fun to cut into! Don’t skimp on the paprika, it adds a bright, smoky flavor to the sauce. I am sure I will get a comment or two suggesting to BAKE these instead of cooking them in the skillet… DON’T DO IT. By baking them you will dry them out… trust me… you want these babies nice and juicy.
Instant Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu
If you own an Instant Pot, you will want to check out our recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu. It’s a quick and easy way to enjoy Chicken Cordon Bleu and it tastes great!
- 4 chicken breast halves
- 4 slices Swiss cheese I like to buy it in the block and make chunks about 3-4" long and about the same thickness as string cheese
- 4 slices black forest ham
- 1 1/2 c. Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 c. butter melted
- 1/4 c. butter for frying
- 1 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- salt pepper, and paprika to taste
- Pound chicken breasts as thin as possible without completely destroying the chicken (about 1/2" thick). Roll up the cheese in the ham.. kind of how you would roll up a burrito (folding in the ends over the cheese, then rolling it up) this will keep the cheese from oozing out. Now roll up the ham and cheese in the chicken. Keep it all together using toothpicks.
- Place the melted butter in a shallow bowl or dish. In a separate shallow dish, mix the Panko, Parmesan cheese and paprika. Dip each chicken in the butter, then roll in the bread crumb mixture.
- Heat the remaining butter (1/4 c.) in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook each chicken until browned on all sides. Place on a plate until remaining chicken is browned. When all the chicken is browned, add a little more butter (or cooking spray) to the bottom of the pan to keep chicken from sticking. Place ALL the chicken back in the skillet. Sprinkle paprika, to taste, over the chicken, then add chicken broth to the pan (don't pour the broth over the chicken, try to pour it directly into the bottom of the pan). Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Transfer the chicken cordon bleus to a warm platter and remove toothpicks. The broth it was sitting in should have reduced and thickened a little during cooking. Add salt, pepper, and paprika to taste. Whisk in heavy cream. Cook, stirring until thickened, and pour over the chicken. Serve and enjoy!